5 Jan 2019 Discussion

Postings related to the semi-weekly discussion group.
Tildy

Re: 5 Jan 2019 Discussion

Postby Tildy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 am

One comment I would make about the first photo of the two girls is that the first one's t-shirt draws a lot of attention away from the kids themselves. I guess it's because the pattern on the shirt is so loud and busy. But of course you can't always ask people, especially kids, to go and change their clothing because you want to take a photo :D

At the same time, I like how the t-shirt makes the photo less formal. The elements are all there for a frame-able portrait: the elegant chair, the beautiful children, their pose together -- and the t-shirt either ruins it, or brings it back to less formal territory and makes it fun.

The second photo is what I believe photographers call "a great capture" :D You've caught an expression on her face that tells the viewer something about her personality, which is interesting because she's so young and, in general, portrait photos tend to emphasize only one thing about kids: their cuteness. Instead, this kid is looking at the camera with a very specific facial expression. I could say "reclaiming agency against the photographer's gaze", but this is a child who isn't deliberately doing that. Instead, it's the photographer who's allowed her expression, rather than her generic cuteness, to shine through.

Tildy

Postby Tildy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 am

I'm sorry I missed the discussion of these. Martin, can you say anything specifically about what you did to the lighting in the two sunset shots? In the second one you've lightened the shadows a lot more.

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 am

Sorry for replying so late. Thanks for your insets. Yes, I did play with second one and used a gradient mask to lighten the foreground a bit, also removed some distractions around the building. I'm placing a different angle shot of the roses. This one was totally done in ON1 photo
Attachments
Desember 201924729613.jpg

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:42 am

I was just trying to do something different. From ON! to Affinty to Nik Silver Effects and back. Trying a bleached more vintage look. This is the youngest granddaughter
Attachments
Desember 201924729592vMono.jpg

Tildy

Postby Tildy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:51 am

In this photo of the roses, it's amazing how you've made what looks like a stack of plastic bags (?? -- in the bowl on the right) look beautiful :D The light here seems more like painting than photography.

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:47 am

Tildy, in PS CS6, I cannot adjust the opacity of the healing brush tool, but in Affinity, and in ON1 you can. So I painted with an opacity of 20% and a few times in certain places with ON1's healing Brush tool, which gave that effect :)
I find that ability also help to just soften some blemishes instead of removing it altogether, for instance wrinkles in a face

Return to “Discussion Group”