Basic Mask Choices Article

Information and discussion of masking using the Curvemeister plug in.
eeleeljr

Postby eeleeljr » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi Greg,
Just downloaded your article on masking in CM.  Sounds pretty neat, have to try it out to really evaluate.  But, anyway
thanx for posting the *.pdf article.
    eeleeljr

DougS

Re: Basic Mask Choices Article

Postby DougS » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:28 am

Hmmm, I am logged in but it says I'm not allowed to download the .pdf info on masks.

Maybe the answer to my question is in the .pdf?

I make and use masks via CM often.

One special feature of CM I really appreciate is the button to view what part of an image will be affected by the pin point on a curve about to be moved....image shows all the pixels affected in the image window....very clever and very useful to make a specific accurate adjustment.

So wondering if I have placed the pin point on the curve and see the affected pixels.....Could I save a mask from those selected pixels???

Likewise can I choose a "worm" line somehow to also show the affected pixels; AND save that as a mask. (Or I'd combine the masks of several close dots to effectively make a mask of the "worm" of pins.)

Doug.S

gregmeister_admin

Postby gregmeister_admin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi Doug,
Saving a mask from the selected pixels is a great idea and we currently do not support that.
The idea of extending the use of masks is certainly on our radar.

I'll check on the PDF. the masking article is most likely not going to help you in this case but I want to know why you cannot download it. Interestingly I cannot download it either....

Greg
Seeing is more than meets the eye.

Greg Groess
Curvemeister Instructor

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 pm

Checking this out - it appears to be a site config issue. Mike

DougS

Postby DougS » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:04 am

Thanks for both answers.

I'll still look at the .pdf when it is available....and check back later.

I'm guessing making a mask or selection from the image pixels shown via pin on curve might be easy as the "selection" is already done on screen and coding is mostly GUI.
Making our own "worm" selection between two pins would be a big new feature.
I'm guessing most people don't remember how to see pin point choice as selected image pixels preview; and this might be a chance to help them see this great feature.

Doug

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:50 am

Here is a repost of the Article so that you can download it.

Greg
Attachments
Making_a_Mask_using_the_Curvemeister_Plug_in.pdf
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 665 times

DougS

Postby DougS » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:52 am

Downloaded .pdf = OK now
Thanks

DougS

Postby DougS » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:12 am

I did more exploring with pins on a curve and displaying the pixels as "selected" in image view....
and if I select 2 pins (select 1 and shift select the other; so both selected) then the selection in the image "seems" to be selecting either those areas of both pins OR all pixels selected at AND between both pins????

If includes all points in between as well as the end point pins, then that would be a "worm" selection to me.

So my question: are only the end points pixel selection shown in the image? OR are the end points as well as all points in-between those points also selected and shown in the image as colored pixels to show what is affected?

And I see that if all the shown selected pixels are one color and do not match any other pixel colors in the image (maybe???) then saving an image view could easily be changed to a B&W mask (not so sure any grays could be correct tho. But could be pure black and white via Ps manipulation and used as a mask that way to isolate pixels....but having a grayscale image would be far better.)

Doug

gregmeister_admin

Postby gregmeister_admin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:09 am

The Highlilght Curve command shows all the pixels selected. I have attached a image with various selections to illustrate the point. If you use Ctrl-Click to link the points then all pixels that fall between the end points of the line are displayed as a highlight mask.

I will look for additional resources on this as I know we did some demonstration work with it.

Using it as a image mask by screen shooting it may not work out without a sizing issue since Curvemeister allows you to scale the image within the viewer. Getting a 100% match on you image will be difficult.

Greg
Attachments
Curvehighlight.jpg
Seeing is more than meets the eye.

Greg Groess
Curvemeister Instructor

DougS

Postby DougS » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks....seems logical.

I'm usually selecting pins on the a and/or b curves for very specific color corrections; sometimes in a very narrow location on the curve to fix a problem image. (I use one curve expanded to full size to fill my second monitor to make it easy to see; CM has a wonderful tool set and I keep telling people when I can.)
I'll assume the explanation you gave applies to the color channels too, and in the same way.

PS Positive feedback that copy/paste the .8bf CM file from Ps CC2015 to CC2015.5 makes CM work just fine in the newest Ps update new version....including my keyboard .atn shortcut.

Doug

Return to “Creating Masks With Curvemeister”