suggestion for CM masks

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm

I use CM masks a lot, and exceptionally valuable is the "skin" mask...thanks for creating it.

I have a suggestion to improve the mask palette; can you please add or make it an option for a choice to include in the palette . . .
for changing image colors using Lab mode...in addition to the 'a' and 'b' of Lab.....

a combination of 'a' plus/combined with 'inverted b' ,
and 'b' plus/combined with 'inverted a'. 
Yes we can do these on our own, but easier/faster to just have them combined for us to automatically see the results.

Such also is a reminder that other combinations may be useful and we should consider them.

Maybe a selection chart of the basic combinations could act as a checkbox choice list of which masks are to be displayed in the mask palette.

Looking forward to the next CM update.

Doug.S

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Doug,
I'm curious...
Do you apply a curve the masks?
Many of the items you are describing can be achieved using a curve on the mask.

The ability to curve the masks gives them infinite possibilities...

Greg

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Thu May 01, 2014 2:04 am

Yes I do apply curves to masks, mostly to go from a grayscale mask to a B&W mask to more clearly separate shapes....or to change the emphasis.

But combining and blending (or 'apply-image' of a mask to a mask) offers unique selections of objects not otherwise easily accomplished....and often very little hand/brush painting on a mask. Using Lab I can make selections based on color (and not luminance).

The idea/suggestion is for more masks in the mask palette....pre-made from more obvious/common masks blended together.  I use Lab color space a lot (so very handy in CM without changing color mode in Ps image) and combining a+b channels in every possible way is often useful but difficult to imagine until seen/applied.  So a palette of combinations allows one to easily see if such a combination mask looks promising without going to the trouble of pre-visualizing and creating it...just look at a palette and see which one looks best to try first and modify as needed.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu May 01, 2014 6:50 pm

OK...I get it a bit better...
I'll make sure Mike sees your request.

He is traveling right now so might not respond.

Greg

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:03 am

Another desirable, automatic, always available, mask (maybe 2 since there are blues and greens) is a ChromaKey mask for images shot against a chroma key color background  (i.e. green screen)....or perhaps a user choice/color pick.
Yes, this one is much easier so maybe it is fluff, but it serves the purpose of user, easy use, for the mask view/selection from the mask palette.

Just occurs to me  (I have not tried or looked)....can we users add our own defined masks (by some selection method?) to the mask gallery palette? That would be a nice addition and easier to code for Mike and easier for users to define which masks they want to see and use....maybe a set of check boxes with user defined name and definition? Maybe only as "in addition" to the CM defined masks?

Doug.S

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Good one...
I like it...

I'll make sure Mike sees your posting.  I know there is a lot going into the design Spec for CM4...

It's a question of when....

Greg

geigy

Postby geigy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:21 pm

I love these suggesitons - "maskematics".  OK, maybe a better name is in order, but the idea of setting up predefined masks, and combining them with one another is an excellent one.  And green and blue screen chromakey as well.  Thanks.  Gotta add these to the kanban/Zoho.

Return to “Interesting Images”