can't save pins-help

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Here is another swing at the pins files...

http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php/topic,2964.0.html

Not completely sure if this might be part of the problem or not...

Greg

Postby -default » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks, Greg.  That's a good idea for a test - see if notepad can modify the pin file.  I'd forgotten about the multi-byte character set problem!  I don't think that's what's happening in this case, since there is no content being written to the pin file.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 am

Ok here is what i did

1) went to swatches folder list. Opened the text file that I had created in CM called jess.txt -- file is empty.
2) I then opened up default people.txt file in same directory and copied one of the lines from people.txt to jess.txt
3) i opened up elements and then opened an image and started up CM.  -- the pinfile jess.txt now DOES have the pin i copied from people.txt and it can be applied

so i am able to edit/create pinfiles through notepad easily with no restrictions but pins created through CM natively aren't saved no matter what i do.

does that help?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 am

to be clear mike/greg
in previous post when I said I opened the txt files, I was editing them outside of CM and PS with notepad.

am running windows 7 32bit BTW -- don't think i mentioned version of windows 7 i was running.

Postby -default » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 am

Thanks, Jesse, this is definitely helpful.  I'll see if I can tell what's happening in Curvemeister.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 pm

thought I'd check in -- hadn't heard anything new in a month -- not complaining just checking -- i've been off the radar for a bit.

Postby -default » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks, yes, you've been very patient about this.

The problem has to do with the admin permissions on the folders in which pins are saved.  For a short term solution, I'd recommend that you try running Photoshop as administrator (right click on it, and select "run as administrator".  If that does not do the trick, or is otherwise not satisfactory, I recommend that we set up a one on one session, where I can access your computer with you on either the phone or Skype, and I can get to the bottom of things.

I'm about to do a new release of Curvemeister, and I will consider adding a command to allow you to set the folders in which pins are saved.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 am

thanks Mike.
we tried the "run as administrator" option before and it didn't change the behavior. An option to set the save folders sounds like a great option in any case.

Thanks for the quick response. 

Postby -default » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:34 pm

I just noticed that this thread sort of trailed off.  I believe the pin saving problem, which affected some customers, has been resolved with the latest release of Curvemeister - please let me know if this is not the case.

The latest release of Curvemeister, v3.4.1, the "Manage Pins" command has been expanded to have the ability to change the pin file folder to a different location, moving the pins along with it.  There is also additional installer logic to make sure the pin files are writeable after the installation process.

Between the two of these, there should be enough leverage to ensure that the pin files can be saved, for people who previously had this problem.

The demo version cannot save pins.

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm

thanks, -- didn't ever see a reply that a new version was available so thanks for the update .will try it and see what happens.

Return to “Curvemeister Support”