Week 1 flowers enhanced with layer mask.

This is the Class board for the Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:58 am

One of the ideas we are hoping to get out to everyone is the many different ways you can use CM to help do things just a bit differently and possibly add value to your work flow in Photoshop.  This is a bit of a leap for some of the class but I wanted to get you thinking.

Below is a comparison of the Flower image from Week 1.  The first image is done using a layer mask and a copy of the red channel  in multiply mode to enhance the highlight details of the flowers.  This in turn allows me to make the yellow brighter without blowing out the highlight details.

There is a document for you to download that goes along with this set of images.

www.curvemeister.com/video/greg/Week_1_Flowers_R_channel_enhanced.pdf

Go slow and try to think about new ways of working on images using masks and CM to add to your work flow.  Please ask questions and please do try this to see if you like the results. This technique can have a varied effect depending on your choices so your image will certainly look different from mine.

Greg
Attachments
compare-jpg-4
compare-jpg-4 (999 Bytes) Viewed 9587 times

joann

Postby joann » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks Greg...I'll give it a try.
JoAnn H

One of the ideas we are hoping to get out to everyone is the many different ways you can use CM to help do things just a bit differently and possibly add value to your work flow in Photoshop.  This is a bit of a leap for some of the class but I wanted to get you thinking.

Below is a comparison of the Flower image from Week 1.  The first image is done using a layer mask and a copy of the red channel  in multiply mode to enhance the highlight details of the flowers.  This in turn allows me to make the yellow brighter without blowing out the highlight details.

There is a document for you to download that goes along with this set of images.

www.curvemeister.com/video/greg/Week_1_Flowers_R_channel_enhanced.pdf

Go slow and try to think about new ways of working on images using masks and CM to add to your work flow.  Please ask questions and please do try this to see if you like the results. This technique can have a varied effect depending on your choices so your image will certainly look different from mine.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 am

I'll have to try this with other garden pics.GregM
Attachments
flowerfilteredcm-jpg
flowerfilteredcm-jpg (230.7 KiB) Viewed 9587 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:04 am

please do and feel free to show and tell...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Greg,today I'm having a problem when I go from the newly created  mask layer back to the background to go to Cm.The image stays in grayscale.If I turn off the mask layer the color returns.On Tuesday I had done a different image and had no trouble.I've got CS4 trial and CM 3.0.12 GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 pm

If the image is gray scale in CM you are only looking at a single channel.  Do you have any channels turned off in the original image?  If this persists I'd save and close PS and try again...

I have seen this once or twice when I turn off a channel or two to look for something and forget to turn them back on.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2009”