week 1 buliding julie

This is the Class board for the Curvemeister 101 class.
imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:02 am

Greg,
have adjusted settings as you sugested. The sample size was on 5, now 3.

I tried this. they are quite different results.

Julie
Attachments
buildingweek1using-highligh-jpg
buildingweek1using-highligh-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 9264 times
buildingweek1using-sliding-jpg
buildingweek1using-sliding-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 9264 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 am

Much better...
what were your thoughts??

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 am

Greg,
I have noticed that the whichever method I used the histogram stays within the curve.
I like the darker one but maybe I would have made it just a touch lighter. I have done nothing else but what assignment asked for and maybe colour saturation would have increased the brightness.
I am having some difficulty deciding when to trust my personal taste and when to trust the program. Guess experience will help.
I saw what you said about the worm in Joanne's post. So am I right in thinking if you move that bit sideways you darken or lighten just that part of the photo. And if you do it in seperate channels does it just affect that particular colour.

Julie

Much better...
what were your thoughts??

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:22 am

Julie,can you  post a finished image without the curves also,GregM

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:58 am

Greg
Do you want me to do this all the time. Looking at them now they are not great but I guess you would normally do more to an image than this. First one uses shadow highlight and second one I moved the curve at the top and bottom.
Julie

ADDIT
Why do they look so different when the curve is not that different. I think i would prefer something in the middle but what would I do to get that?
Attachments
c01s01-example4useshadhigh_-jpg
c01s01-example4useshadhigh_-jpg (259.23 KiB) Viewed 9264 times
c01s01-example4useslide_edi-jpg
c01s01-example4useslide_edi-jpg (154.52 KiB) Viewed 9264 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Julie,
You can feel free to take these as far as you would like many people add noise reduction and masking.  The goal is always the best looking image possible.  These examples are for us to get the concepts across and show dramatic improvements with moderate changes but, we also want to add CM to your work flow so feel free to go further.

As to why they look so different...Are they in the same color space??  If not that is part of it, RGB and LAB have areas that overlap but LAB can create effects and colors not possible in RGB.  If they are in the same space It would help me if you posted the curves so I can compare.

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 am

Greg.
I think I may have messed up when posting these. I will have another go and do one in lag and one in rgb. At the moment I save my image and then copy and resize. I do this so if i want to re-edit I have a good image to work with. Is there a less labour intensive way. When I save the screen shot I then have to import it into elemnts to resize. Again is there a faster way. it seems to take me forever to post an image.
Can you tell me how to undo a movement in a curves. I know how to reset the curve but sometimes i just want to undo the last thing

thanks
Julie

Julie,
You can feel free to take these as far as you would like many people add noise reduction and masking.  The goal is always the best looking image possible.  These examples are for us to get the concepts across and show dramatic improvements with moderate changes but, we also want to add CM to your work flow so feel free to go further.

As to why they look so different...Are they in the same color space??  If not that is part of it, RGB and LAB have areas that overlap but LAB can create effects and colors not possible in RGB.  If they are in the same space It would help me if you posted the curves so I can compare.

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:43 pm

I hear you about the screen shots..I have quite a few to do...lol...You need not post the interim steps...The finished image and the ACV file are good enough.. As we get into the course more you may have to make multiple passes at the curves, sometimes in a different color space.  Then you can post at each major change.

I use use Gadwin as my screen capture software it has a feature that allows you to re-size the image at capture. I have mine set to 1024 X 768 .jpg  with the quality at 80%  this seems to keep the image around the 300K limit.  You can download Gadwin for free.

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/  you do not need the pro version...Just get Gadwin 4.4 if you want to try this...

Ctrl-Z will undo 1 curve operation.  If you Ctrl-z again restores it effectively allowing you toggle the change.  

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:11 am

Greg,
i had another go. better now i think. I know that i like contrast in photos and so i have tried to add contrast and brightness. I hope not too much. i was unsure about the colour. It needed to be stronger but it was a difficult choice on how far to go.
In lab I used the saturation slider and used shadow, highlight and neutral. i then sharpened, added a little levels adjustment and added more saturation.
In rgb I used shadow, highlight and neutral but then moved the highlight curve inwards along the top just a little to increase contrast. Is this ok?. Out of curves I added saturation in the red channel, brightness and contrast and sharpened.

I think these are better than before. I think I like the tone of the lab one. the colours look better for a grey winter day. Looking rforward to hearing from you
Julie
Attachments
buildinglab-jpg
buildinglab-jpg (209.42 KiB) Viewed 9264 times
labbuildingscreen-jpg
labbuildingscreen-jpg (118.09 KiB) Viewed 9264 times
rgbbuilding-jpg
rgbbuilding-jpg (209.09 KiB) Viewed 9264 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:31 am

Julie,

Good work on both versions...you have begun to isolate the issues you want to fix and formed a plan that has helped you get there...
The LAB version is certainly my favorite so far but I can see advantages in the RGB as well...... what to do....Both images are solid but the lab has richness that the RGB seems lacking....It almost looks thin in comparison.

When it comes to color, we will be really pushing that around as we go forward.  It will become the manta I chant at you sometimes..."More Color... More Color" ...I think the Lab version overall has an advantage because the saturation slider makes the color pop out faster.  If you want to increase saturation in RGB you really have to be careful.. it is easy to introduce color casts with those kinds of adjustments,  hence you went to PS tools to get it done.

Some things to think about going forward....In RGB the color is linked to the brightness.  You can have multiple neutrals in RGB  in fact one of the things in the class description is a color by the numbers correction using CM.  This is best done in RGB.  That is a strong advantage...The adjustment of the color is also much more subtle in RGB and even more so in CMYK.  LAB can be like a sledge hammer for color. 

There are colors in the LAB gamut that cannot be created in RGB that can be a problem..if you correct in LAB and go to print you might find yourself lacking the ability to print the colors you see in the file.  Lab also can only have 1 neutral.  Oh yea..there are ways to trick the program into allowing more than one but that is so far out of scope for this class I'll only brush it lightly here.  

The biggest advantage for LAB and one that is almost impossible to beat is the fact that unlike RGB where Color is linked to brightness in LAB color is totally separate from brightness.  The L channel is the biggest tool in the box.  It is very versatile and so intuitive.  I go to lab for fast and furious color.  I use it more often than any other space....The sharpening looks good.  not at all over done on my monitor.  You do start to pick up some color noise but we'll talk about that as we go further into the class.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2009”