Workflow discussion

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Everyone,

I would like you to try this exercise....

Take the image attached and do a written analysis of what you want to "fix".  You need not actually do the correction, but images with your work flow are welcome.

I'd like you to think about what you are fixing and why...I find that writing it down helps solidify my goals for an image and clarifies the process a bit.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 pm

1.white foam
2.nice vegetation
3.color and detail to rock
4.might be sailboat in front of landmass in distance
5.bring in right border
6.bird on rock at 8:00,sharpen?
7.add color to tree

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:12 pm

My workflow

I like the rock and the colours in the picture. Would like to concentrate on these parts and get some kind of Velvia look. Further I would like to crop picture 2/3. Workflow:

1) Started with checking white point and temp. Liked it.
2) Croped picture.
3) Adjusted exposure and some extra exposure of shadows
4) Increased colours with saturation and clarity
5)  Made a mask and did separate adjustment of heaven
6) Applied a slight S-curve
7) Some unsharp mask for web
Please find enclosed an example of the result.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Good job both of you...

Greg just a question your thoughts on the Cropping....is it a centering issue or what specific would you want to fix??  I'm curious more for myself...

Thomas...
Good work..you executed all of the items on your list.  the only thing I'd look at for certain is the sharpening and well that is a personal preference at this point...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 am

I did a monitor calibration today and that's when the troubles started.On my screen ThomasD's sky was so blown out the land in the background had disappeared(color temp 6100).I'm back to an sRGB profile for my viewsonic monitor.The crop was to eliminate the sunlit patch of ground at the right border.GregM

Gary

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 pm

The first thing I would do with this image is to remove the grass on the right bottom and the stick protruding from bottom. Depending on what the image would be used for I might also get rid of the dead branches at the bottom of the tree to the left.

I would then try and open up some of the shadows on the cliff. Then add some a and b channel to get more colour in the ground cover on the cliff and a little more blue in the water. I would then do a light gradient fill on the sky.

Did not do the branch removal or the sky in the attached as my wife feels I should get a life.

Gary

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:33 pm

pshhhaaa...
What does she know....

Good assessment.  how does it look with the branches removed??  did you try that version?

Greg

Gary

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 pm

I thought it looked better on my screen (24") calibrated with Spyder2mPro, I think looking at the bigger screen gives one a different perspective, however the other ones that were sent in I feel look better.

I did do a copy taking the branches out with the clone tool but did not spend enough time on it for a good job so I didn't send it. I liked it much better as I fink the branches very distracting, but that would be a matter of personal preference wouldn't it.

Gary

PS: Wife is really very understanding.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm

My wife is as well..I was only poking fun at her...

Your posted image is usually different because of how the browser handles the image.  I usually download and look. unless it's really obvious. 

The real point of this is to get people to think a bit before just cranking on the adjustments.  Most solid corrections are no accident.  They are well executed plans.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”