New Photo Processing Software

Please post images and discussion on Affinity Photo Editor in this group
gregmeister_admin

New Photo Processing Software

Postby gregmeister_admin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Many people are starting to use Affinity Photo.
This forum is a place to put your work and ask questions.

Greg
Seeing is more than meets the eye.

Greg Groess
Curvemeister Instructor

Ganna

Re: New Photo Processing Software

Postby Ganna » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 pm

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/
Place to look at. AP official forum
https://affinity.help/ and help
https://affinityspotlight.com/ and more to keep one busy :D

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:12 am

After stitching pano or just straightening horizon, and you want to keep max. This is like contend aware fill in Photoshop.
Examples of 3 images. Horizon, then straighten and then infill. Do it as follows"
1. Crop tool to straighten or pane with areas missing, like my example "Horizon straight"
2. Important! select original layer and right click on it (or go to Layer>Rasterize) and click Rasterize
3 Go to Select>Alfa Range>Partial Transparent
4. Go to Select>Grow/Shrink>add 5px and press apply
5.Edit>Inpaint (or Alt+Backspace) and walla See image 3.
Affinity calls PS's Actions, Macros. I actually wrote a macro (action) that will do the above
Attachments
Horizon.jpg
Horizon straight.jpg
Horizon final.jpg

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:14 am

Please forgive if you guys think I'm throwing too much data in. This was a problem I had and members of the AP Forum gave advice
Attachments
Luminosity mask pasting.pdf
(195.82 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

Tildy

Postby Tildy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Unlike you, Martin, I'm finding learning Affinity to be a chore. I installed it a while ago on my laptop for portable photo editing as it's so much cheaper than Photoshop, but I hadn't realized how different from Photoshop it is, and it seems to be more complicated and a lot less intuitive to use.

Tonight, after trying and failing to do a number of simple things in Affinity that I can easily do in Photoshop, and having to search the PDF manual with a fine-toothed comb to find the answers, I decided to give up and install Photoshop Elements instead despite having paid for Affinity. Installing Elements isn't going so well either, though, as it won't do much until I add more RAM to my laptop, while the full version of Affinity seems to work fine with 4 GB (a factor in favour of keeping Affinity...). However, even just opening and cropping an image in the trial version of Elements shows that its ease of use and size of edit screen are much better, for me anyway.

So, my question is, why is Affinity better than Photoshop, for you?

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Tildy, remember I'm using Photoshop CS6, nearly 7 years old now. Yes certain things are being done much better in AP because its a much newer and more modern program. I hear you. It took me years to get to know PS and unfortunately there is a learning curve. So, to answer you, I still use PS a lot, mainly because of CM. Further I've been in hospital a lot during the first 5 months of the year and thus had a lot of time to read and to get to know Affinity and ON1 better.(Fortunately I did not feel ill) Yes always frustrating to have to learn again. AP is not that difficult; really a lot like PS. You just have to discover the differences. You cannot compare Elements with AP, its more like PS proper and more :D

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Ph eBook free on Christmas day. Look at this:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. ... ent-393674

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:21 am

Return to “Affinity Photo Program”