ganna c1s4 example 3

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:28 pm

I followed the video example of Mike: first in RGB and used the lowermost example and pinned the skincolour to that. saved then into LAB and set the highlight and a lizard tail to brighten the detail in the shadows. Lastly I sharpened.  When I "saved for the web" to reduce the size of the image, everytime the image gets lighter and the contrast a bit less. Is this a general occurrence in CS2?
Regards
ganna

Postby -default » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:38 pm

This is very light.  The black has been greyed out in all but the darkest areas. 

I think the main problem is that you have used the lizard tail to open up the shadows, while in this case it is the highlights that need it more - the metal ornaments are near the face and are almost pure white, so I'd try to get then a little lower in brightness and use the lizard tail move to put more detail into them.

This leaves the question of why it looks good in photoshop, and takes on this gray look when you save for web.  looks like a color management issue.  The most common reason for this is a non-standard working color profile in Color Settings.  Type ctrl-shift-K and make sure that your RGB working space is sRGB.  I've enclosed a screen shot from CS2, which is about the same I believe as CS.  The relevant setting is the second from the top.  The working RGB space should be set to sRGB.

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks Mike, I've lizard tailed (good English?) the highlight to show more detail and pushed the darker threshold a minute bit in.
Thanks for the PS detail, I will set mine up like that.
Regards
ganna

Return to “May 2007 Curvemeister 101”