Have we forgotten anything??

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:35 pm

About this time in the class we like to ask if there are any questions we did not get answered or if there are items that require more help or explaination on.

Please feel free to post them here if you feel they do not relate to anything else we are currently doing.

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:04 pm

Can you please expand a bit on different colour settings. Am I right to assume that you use sRGB for the purpose of the Web and Adobe RGB for the purpose of your own computer screen?  What do you use for printing and what do you do when you have black and white printing in mind.  Can you please touch on the colour settings as well as how your editing of these images may differ if it does?
Thanks a lot.
ganna

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Let's start this discussion here...http://www.curvemeister.com/support/curvemeister2/help/Wizard/CSMatrix.htm

For a quick overview of the color spaces and the strengths and weaknesses.  This is by no means a difinetive explaination but it does open the discussion quite nicely. 

As for me personally, I use LAB for a large amount of the images I work on.  It usually converts to prints very well.  I have a few exceptions but mostly they are my mistakes and not a failure of the color space.  I find myself being much more careful in RGB or CMYK due to the complete ease of adding a color shift to the images. 

To me LAB is the most intuitive because the lightness is separate from color.  I can play with the contrast and detail controls without adding a color cast.  I used to only use RGB.  I found myself working far too often to fix my own mistakes.  For me personally LAB cures that to some extent.

Please feel free to expand on the discussion with your own feelings about this as well as asking more about the question after you have read the article. You will most likely have more questions...

Good question by the way...
Greg

Return to “May 2007 Curvemeister 101”