Benny c1s3 Example 2

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:15 pm

In LAB I set shadow and neutral. This seemed to remove what appeared to be a slight green cast in the original image.
Any saturation adjustment brought a blue cast to the dark shadows. I therefore didn't use any increase in saturation.
When you say check the Hue clock for blue cast is blue are you saying the blue cast should be visible. If it is I can't see it as an obvious blue.
I am still trying to come to grips with setting up a lizard tail. Can you direct me as to how this curve is set-up (ie how many points do you select on the curve to ensure the whole curved doesn't move) and what exactly it achieves. I tried a lizard curve at the dark end of the curve but it seemed to make the detail in that area of the image worse.
Benny

Postby -default » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 pm

The motivation of the lizard tail (which you seem to have accomplished in the half dome image, BTW) is to add detail to a highlight by making the appropriate end of the curve steeper, while not greatly affecting the brightness of the rest of the image. 

I've enclosed curves that show two ways to do this.  The first one uses Curvemeister's corner fill feature and requires no additional points, and the second one has two points, added in the order shown.

Be careful to avoid any flat spots in the curve, as these will give the image a sort of flat "plastered" look if the curve slants at too shallow an angle.  I've included a third example showing an example of such a flat spot.

The lizard tail can also be used to add detail to shadows.  This is relatively unusual because shadows contain noise.

Return to “May 2007 Curvemeister 101”