ganna c1s3 example 2

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Wed May 30, 2007 8:32 pm

Good day, Firstly, when I open one of my downloaded images is PS CS2 I get an "embedded profile mismatch" message with 3 choices. What is the correct way to handle this? (Attachment 1)
My image: I firstly converted it to 16 bits/channel, then did Luminosity Masking (Earhbound Light) whereafter I played around in the LAB mode (see attachment). Lastly I sharpened with smart sharpen.
ganna

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am

Ganna,
Look to the shadows...are they neutral or blue??  one of the thnigs you need to do to this image is get the blue out of the shadows while making the rest of the image look good...oh and the sky stays blue too....

Greg

Postby -default » Thu May 31, 2007 6:45 am

Re the profile mismatch dialog - keep the image in sRGB. 

To show why, I've included two images, one with Adobe RGB and the other with sRGB.  These images look identical in Photoshop, but are very different when you look at them in your browser.

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Thu May 31, 2007 6:49 pm

Ganna,
Look to the shadows...are they neutral or blue??  one of the thnigs you need to do to this image is get the blue out of the shadows while making the rest of the image look good...oh and the sky stays blue too....

Greg
I tried by putting a neutral point on the rocks, Lab values 50 0 0 All the blue disappeared, but fortunately I could put the blue sky back with the help of layers ;D (sort of cheating?) I sharpened. Although it is a bit light, the detail is still there.
Mike, thanks, I changed PS CS2 to sRGB.
ganna

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu May 31, 2007 8:00 pm

If you move the neutral to the shadows you create a problem with the sky....You saw that...

Try this way of doing the correction.  In B Channel of Lab or The B Channel of RGB find the part of the curve where the blue from the shadow is located and make a small adjustment to the curve to reduce the blue in that area.  you should be able to remove the blue cast to the shadows without hurting the blue sky.  Setting a neutral in a brighter part of the image will keep the tonal range in a better place and you should be able to work with the sky...

Greg

Postby -default » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:23 am

In addition to the color, notice that Greg keeps the rock face darker.  This brings out the detail better, for example the fine cracks in the bright area of stone in the lower right part of the image.

Return to “May 2007 Curvemeister 101”