ganna c1s3 example1

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Mon May 28, 2007 5:38 pm

I tried this one in LAB. Then I sharpened with unsharp mask (Am 20%; Rad 60; Thr 5) to boost the overall contrast. After that Smart sharpen 50%; 0.5pix under Lens Blur. It is quite amazing how dramatically the image change with only small movements of the curve.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue May 29, 2007 1:03 pm

Hey ganna,
Try for a darker wet look once and see if the highlights on the head and back can be improved.  This image can stand up to a lot of adjustment.  kick it around a bit and see what happens..

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Greg, I first payed in LAB, saved and then in HSB. As far as the wet look: it is running away from me, getting frombad to worse. I think I manage to improve the highlights on the head and back, but the colours are winning me. Thanks again for all your energy and trouble and time with us mortal students.
Kind regards, Ganna

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue May 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Hey Ganna,

Oh, never doubt that I fall into the catagory of mortal....
I learn something new everytime I help with the class...It is one of the primary reasons I do this...I am always asked great questions and sometimes I have to scurry off to find an answer...sometimes I point my finger at Mike and say...your up...I'm out...

This thankfully is not one of those times....

The thing you want to look at is the highlight detail. 
When you increase the slope of the L curve you tend to blow out the highlights, this is where the Lizard Tail can help you again.  Find the place on the curve where the highlights live and pull them back to reality.  Then work on saturation using the Lab saturation slider.

Greg

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed May 30, 2007 1:29 am

comment...wow the difference between my PC's is striking...

Ganna your image here at home looks quite nice....Mine on the other hand looks like I was curving with my eyes closed....

Greg

Postby -default » Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 am

Your image is a definite improvement over the original, and already has some of the qualities the example is asking for.

Greg's point about the highlights is a good one.  Instead of moving the highlight in at all, try making the upper right corner of the lightness curve steeper, even if this means making the rest of the image a little darker.  Bump the saturation a little - not too much - and it will look like you poured water on the terra cotta, making the colors darker and more vivid.  This is shown in the solutions to section 2.

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Wed May 30, 2007 8:38 pm

Thanks a lot for all the advice, I am beginning to see a tiny spot of light in the tunnel ;D
I've really opened the taps now, but I think it is too much saturation and I don't know how to get rid of the blue ears and noses.
Ganna

Postby -default » Thu May 31, 2007 6:34 am

Not to worry - whether this is the image you would have selected or not, you have demonstrated that you understand how to retain highlight detail, increase texture, and bump the color.

This is a sculpture, and the colored marks on the ears are part of the original.  If I needed to get rid of them, I'd step outside of curves, and use a brush in color mode, possibly combined with the clone tool.

Return to “May 2007 Curvemeister 101”