session 2 example 1 - Mike F

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue May 22, 2007 4:39 pm

I used the upper left corner of the chart for the shadow point.  The left part of the glasses on the skull for highlight and the upper right corner of the middle gray square for the neutral point.  I also increased the slider to 1.2

[img]http://C:DataPersonal Stuff1Curvemeister Classclass2Example01_MikeF.jpg[/img]

Thnx.
Mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed May 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Mike,

It's looking better but there is more out there...The red cast in the grey squares is a dead give away that something else is needed. 

I included the cyan in the skull as another area to look at but you can get away with that a bit more than the red....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu May 24, 2007 4:23 pm

Here's my second attempt.  I pretty much kept the same points for shadows, highlight and neutral in Lab mode, but this time I played with the "a" curve to lose some of the pinkish color cast.  Hopefully i got it this time.

[img]http://C:DataPersonal Stuff1Curvemeister Classclass2Example01_MikeF_2.jpg[/img]

thnx
mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu May 24, 2007 7:54 pm

ok...let's step back a bit...that one is too far the other way....

can you do a screen shot of the curves you used so I can get a look and give you some better information..I feel that I have led you astray on this....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu May 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Hmmm.  I thought by eliminating the color cast in the grey squares would've made this image ok.  i guess i'm not even close.  well, that's why I'm taking the course. 

Anyway, when i open the image up again and load curvemeister how do I get the curves that I used to get the latest result?  I can start from scratch with the original image, but i don't have the time. I'll have to make another attempt tomorrow.

On the second example, I'm just not getting this one at all.  I can't seem to get anything that looks respectable.

Thnx.
Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu May 24, 2007 8:20 pm

after my reply, i made some time to try it again.

[img]http://C:DataPersonal Stuff1Curvemeister Classclass2try_3.jpg[/img]

curves
[img]http://C:DataPersonal Stuff1Curvemeister Classclass2curves.jpg[/img]

Thnx.
Mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri May 25, 2007 12:25 am

Well,
For someone who is not getting it I think you did great....I'll just step back now....

The greys are much improved.  The skull is less green
Things in the image look snappy and good contrast across the entire image...

Good Job!

If you open you image without changes you can open CM and then press Alt-o to open the image with the last curve.  otherwise you can save the curve and reload it.  I sometimes save the curve if I have a whole group of images from the same lighting conditions and exposure that way I can apply the saved curve to the image and make fast work of a whole group.

Greg

Postby -default » Fri May 25, 2007 8:23 am

Not bad at all, though still a reddish cast in the darker squares.

The neutrals in this image are a little like the "whack a mole" game, where you can fix neutrals in one place, only to have them get worse in another.  when that happens, I will alt click on the points I want to make neutral, and use a manual adjustment to get as close as possle.

The first "greenish" version of the image happened because of a problem with extra control points on the a curve causing a flat spot in the middle of the a curve, robbing the image of most of its red and green colors.

This can happen in some situations with multiple neutrals in Lab mode, or when other complex changes are made.  Watch the shape of the curve, and be on the alert for strange shapes, such as flat areas - and back off your last change or even reset the curve and start over if necessary. 

This is almost certainly a Curvemeister bug, and I would in fact be interested in a way to make this happen consistently.

I've included a screenshot of mike's (aka boggsy's) Lab curve, which I accessed using curvemeister's alt-O command on the image to "open" the previous curves.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri May 25, 2007 1:22 pm

Thnx to both of you for the valuable insight.  In my second try, using RGB and a second neutral point got me a better result. 

It's in the second example (the marina) that I'm just not getting anything worth posting.  If I take the blue cast out of it, i end up getting a reddish cast.  I'll plug away and post something later today.

thnx.
mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri May 25, 2007 5:20 pm

hint...the boats are white and white should be a neutral...

ok..not much of a hint...but hey we want you to get it....

Return to “May 2007 Curvemeister 101”