Benny Example 3 Results

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun May 13, 2007 6:46 am

In both the RGB and LAB I had the sliders at 50,99.
I then applied saturation of 1.5 to LAB.
Originally I though they both looked the same but then noticed that the light brown colour saturation around the bee was lighter in LAB than in RGB. I could probably add mopre saturation in LAB to get a similar result to RGB.
Amazing results from such simple adjustments.
One question.
When sliding the light or dark points how do you know when you have reached the actual histogram? Is this the ideal place to stop the slider?
Benny

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun May 13, 2007 7:10 am

Have now adjusted the image using the Set Shadow and Set Highlights.
The results aren't too bad either. I found the highlights more diffiicult to find in the RGB mode but the reult was still good.
I noticed after using this method that the sliders were at Highlight input - 48 and shadow input of 98. Very close to the manual slide reults in the previous posting.
Benny

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon May 14, 2007 1:40 am

Benny,

They all look very good...the shadow setting in RGB has a blueish cast to it but you have the shadow and highlight done quite well.

To answer your question....
For what we are doing here, and for most of the work in CM, the actual histogram is more of a guide than a rule.  The histogram is there to help you see where the pixels are in the image but rarely do you adjust "to" the histogram to get good results.

I know that might sound counter intuitive but it really is true.

Greg

Return to “May 2007 Curvemeister 101”