Examples

If you can see this board, you are enrolled in the July 2007 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Is there a way to see what you would say is a correct adjustment for each example so we know what to try and achieve? Thanks
It is hard to know what to go for like how light or dark?

Postby -default » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi Tatala,

This is a good time to review this, so thanks for asking.  Although I do provide specific examples of solutions at the end of each week, these are guides only.  Each of us can have different preferences for the overall darkness or lightness of the image.  For the purposes of the class, the goal will be to do the following three things:

1) set a full range of brightness values by setting a shadow and highlight point (if the image contains neutral shadow and highlight), or by using the threshold feature in Lab.  The main thing to keep in mind is that important detail in the highlights and shadows should be retained.

2) Eliminate or minimize any color cast by placing a neutral on an object that you know has no color.  Most images have at least one object that meets this requirement, such as the boats in session 2.

3) Impossible colors should be avoided.  Gray objects that have a color cast are an example of this.  More generally, this means colors that the average viewer will know are wrong.  Skin tones are a common example, and we'll be covering skin tone pinning in the last session.

Personally, I tend to prefer a somewhat darker image.  Others prefer a lighter look.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:42 pm

I would add that a large part of the learning here is around "seeing" what happens when you make an adjustment.  I personally would not want to create a clone of my interpretation of an Image...

I think part of the skill and art here is your interpretation of the images...some of the things we do in the overall class will make more sense as we get into week 3 and 4 I know it is hard when you feel lost.

Keep asking questions..and hopefully we can get them answered and not reveal too much of the stuff we are going to work on in the next two weeks...

Would a course syllabus be helpful?? 

For example: 
Week 1: Shadow, Highlight, Neutral
Week 2: Multiple neutrals in RGB, S Curves, Saturation, and Detail control.
Week 3: Special Curves, Detail Control, Color Cast control, LAB Color Tricks.
Week 4: Pinning colors to known values for skin tones, answer questions we may have neglected...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Yes Greg I think it would.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Does the above list suffice?? 

I could try to expand on it more..that was kind of quick and dirty....

Greg

Return to “July 2007 Curvemeister 101”