week 2 ex 2 gus - attachments

If you can see this board, you are enrolled in the July 2007 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm

I forgot to add the attachments...

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:24 pm

Gus,

There is more to these than meets the eye...the boats are a good neutral.  See Shot 1.

To get the neutral back you need to adjust the R curve a bit for this part of the image...See Shot 2. The extra adjustment points are to bring the curve back to the line so I only adjust the pixels with the tonal range I have selected.  The curve will bend around my adjustment too much If I do not constrain it a bit as shown

You will need to look at other ares for adjustment as well.  Look for the buildings to be a bit warmer since they are in the late day sun...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:10 am

Here's my second attempt.  I had trouble introducing more red into the buildings.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Try reducing the green a bit in the G channel. 

This starts to skew colors a lot...Green is a real important color component.  If it gets too far out of hand you might want to start again....

This is another image where patience and multiple attempts will teach you a lot about the tool you are trying to learn...I know it can be frustrating but hang in there you are on the right track and you are certainly making progress.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:54 am

Started from scratch again.  Made inital adjustments of highlights and shadows in LAB removed cast in boats.  Got out of CM and then back in to do some very localized adjustments in RGB.  Pinned whole curves and made fine scale adjustments to neutralize boats and black building, adjusted red and green in sky.

Is the sky too red now?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:34 pm

yea...I'd say its too red....

Let's start over....sorry...try this...In LAB...set a neutral and shadow/highlight points.

Shot 1.jpg is the "inverted "s" curve Mike talks about in the assignment.

Shot2.jpg is the image with saturation slider set to 1.60.

At this point this would be an acceptable solution but you can  go farther if you want to...there are some colors in the boats on the right that are too red...save the image and switch to RGB see if you can reduce the red without shifting the rest of the image....Remember that you need to place control points along the curve to hold it in place except for the areas you want to change.  The curve tends to "pivot" around a point when you make an adjustment.  you need to prevent that with 2 or 3 points set above and below the adjustment area.

Also try this...After you have set the saturation try grabbing the neutral point and moving it around..this will cause a "neutral thresholding" where the tone of the image will shift around a bit...see if you can find a look you like better than the one you already have..Also play with the saturation slider...find as much color as possible without going too far....

Greg

Return to “July 2007 Curvemeister 101”