Suddie1215 - Week 1 Example 1

If you can see this board, you are enrolled in the July 2007 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Opened image in Photoshop CS3
Started up the Curvemeister plug-in and with the Lightness tab for LAB mode selected, set the Shadow point.
Switched to All Tabs view to observe the movement of all the curves, then steepened the A and B curves to increase the saturation of the image.

Compared results in RGB and LAB modes and decided to use the LAB mode since it represented what I thought were more accurate colors even though I also liked the RGB rendition  because of its saturated Velvia look.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Very nice...The saturation slider can boost the color a bit if you are looking for some help there.  RGB does tend to give this particular image a candy color look.  Many people prefer it to the LAB solution.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:09 pm

Thanks Greg.

I didn't spot the Saturation slider when I did this image; with my aging eyesight its difficult to see especially since it isn't labelled.

If I were doing this adjustment using Photoshop Curves, I would switch the blend mode of the Curves adjustment layer from Normal to Color to prevent the color shift.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:46 pm

True enough but, in LAB the color is independent from the lightness...
The real issue here is to get the full exposure range and try to get the color back...It is an interesting image for this though since there are so many possibilities and color reflections on the white....

Greg

Return to “July 2007 Curvemeister 101”