Howard, session 4, example 4

This board is for the August 2007 Curvemeister 101 Class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:12 am

I started in Lab mode.  I pinned with skin 1 & moved it around his face until it looked "right".  I set the shadow point at the dark band on the bottom of his hat and the highlight on the front of the tray.  I then switched to RGB mode and pinned most the curve to keep it from moving.  I ctrl-clicked on the red head dress and moved the curve up at that point to try to bring some detail out of the red head dress.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:14 am

Howard,
There seems to be a green / cyan color cast over this image as well.  Have you tried "neutral thresholding" ?
Set a neutral and then drag it around the image a bit and see if you find a better place to put it.  I placed a neutral on the shirt shown below but this was not the spot I started on.  I set the neutral and then dragged it slowly around the image until I found a tone that made the image look good. 

This helps me sometimes when I cannot find the correct color to try to correct out of the image. 
The trouble with skin tones is..they are very subjective... I can give you guidelines, I can tell you to keep the hue clocks at the 1:00 to 1:30 range..and I can even show you my interpretation...but...I would still be wrong part of the time.  This is why these are left for the last...

They are open to the most interpretation and adjustment.  They are also pretty tough images for anyone...not just someone learning curves...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Greg,

I didn't try neutral thresholding on this image, probably because I wasn't sure what was supposed to be neutral.  This goes back to the comment in my last reply concerning not knowing what the original scene looked like.  I've done that in the attached version, making the left side of his shirt, near the buttons, the neutral point.

I want to thank you for the time and effort you an Mike have both put in to teach this.  I realize that it has to take a pretty sizable commitment of time on your parts, and it is appreciated.

BTW, do you offer a "student" discount on the full version of Curvemeister?  :)

Howard

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:47 pm

That is Mike's gig..I'm an unpaid voulenteer...But I can tell you that the plugin has paid for itself many times over for me in time and production costs.

Greg

Return to “August 2007 Curvemeister 101”