Howard, session 4, example 1

This board is for the August 2007 Curvemeister 101 Class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:16 am

I am attaching 4 versions; 2 in RGB and 2 in Lab.  The first RGB version came out with a green caste to it.  I tried putting the 4 hue clocks in the image as suggested in the assignment but was unable to get all the pointers pointing in the same direction.  I got the one in the far lower left to neutral, but the ones above it went to the brown/red side.  I tried adjusting them individually as well, but not without wreaking havoc with the rest of the image.

The second RGB image came out better, but I'm still not totally satisfied with it.  While the lower left points to neutral, the overall image looks too blue to me.  I set shadow points and highlight points and tried adjusting the color by moving the dark end of the blue curve.

The two Lab versions are essentially the same except that I put a lizard tail on the light side to try to bring out some more detail in the beak;  not altogether successful.  However, I like the Lab versions better than the RGB versions.  I set shadow points, highlight points and neutral points.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:48 am

The idea behind the hue clocks is not to make neutral per se...it is to help you keep areas of the image i the same "time zone"  for this assignment it was to the red-brown colors that you are working...

There is only 1 neutral in the image...the rest is color control...

I'll comment more later...don't be afrid to go back to the RGB...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:26 am

Okay, here's another shot at example 1.  I've also attached a screen shot of all the hue clocks and the curves (figured out how to do that).  I Set the shadow, highlight and neutral.  Then I set the hue clocks and moved the dark end of the blue curve until the top 3 clocks were pointing in about the same direction with the lower left in the "same time zone".  Looks better to me . . .

Return to “August 2007 Curvemeister 101”