Howard, session 3, example 3

This board is for the August 2007 Curvemeister 101 Class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:24 am

I started by setting the black threshold until I started to see some shadows appearing on the flower & then backed off to eliminate it.  I then boosted the contrast in the lighter tones.  I made a coule of different attempts with this one, too, but also settled on my first try as the best.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:05 am

Very nice getting the details into the droplets. 
You certianly touch on a very interesting subject that being what is best?? 
It is one of the hardest things to teach...and actually it is more shown than taught...
"Best" being subjective makes it an elusive target for most people...Post your other examples as well if you want and we can discuss the goods and bads of each if it will help you get more out of the lessons.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:34 am

This is the only other version that I did.  I thought that the final result was lacking in contrast, which is why I went with the version that I posted earlier.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:00 am

Actually they are both acceptable. 
I can see why you chose the darker one it seems more complete..like all of the tones are there but that can be a trap. sometimes we want them to be there when they should not be...that is not to say that the image is less because of the darker tones...Mike preferrs it darker...I think he has a sinister mind...  I prefer it to be brighter and less dramatic.  I have seen versions where neither one of us was right...it really is open to interpretation..Thats the fun part...

See if you can find the spider in the image...

Return to “August 2007 Curvemeister 101”