Howard, session 2, example 4

This board is for the August 2007 Curvemeister 101 Class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:24 am

While I am happy with the color and the preservation of detail in the highlights, I think the upper wing is too dark and there is too much overall contrast.  I would have liked to apply an S curve, but I didn't want to lose detail in the highlights or lose any of the snap.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:30 pm

There is room in the image for both the detail and lightening the wing a bit...

You can use thresholding on the shadows and highlights to keep the detail in the Image.  My version below is only one of many possible versions as you well know...

Mostly this is a highlight and shadow drill with a slight twist....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:33 am

Okay, here's my second attempt.  I like it a lot better.  As you suggested, I used thresholds, rather than setting highlight points and shadow points.  In this case, my shadow points are the shadows below the rock, and part of the shadow beneath the wing.  I think the use of thresholds gives me much more control than setting shadow points and highlight points.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:17 pm

You can also "Threshold with a point...Just grab the point and drag it around...Keep moving it until you get rid of most if not all of the shadow or highlight.  Sometimes it is better than the threshold level...used best when the shadow or highlight is very small. 

In the instructions there is a link to 2 documents on how to do this...

Good job BTW...This is one image where you can use the saturation slider to really make the colors pop as well...the image can take pretty good bump in saturation..not that yours is poor there but it is a chance to play a bit more...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:30 pm

Didn't want to make the colors look too unnatural.

Return to “August 2007 Curvemeister 101”