Week 02, Example 02

This board is for the September 2007 Curvemeister 101 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Hello again

This image is a challenge.
The original is very bland not much colour at all with detail in the lighter areas as well as the darker.

To increase detail (contrast) requires that the slope of the transfer function be increased. And any contrast increase in one area be paid for by a contrast decrease in another.

The lightest regions in the image are in the center to bottom portions of the image and to increase the contrast in these areas requires that they become darker overall and that requires that our curve begin below the original curve and rise at a steeper angle.
Example-02-SS 1.jpg shows a straight line version of this.
Personally, I would crop out most if not all of the dark area which has been made full black.
But modifying the original curve as per Example-02-SS 2.jpg brings out the detail in this area without destroying the gains in Example-02-SS 1.jpg. The termination point of the curve at the dark end can be adjusted for how light and the amount of contrast that we need in this dark area.
Example-02-SS 3.jpg is another variation where the curve starts by making the image lighter and lightens the dark areas, however I feel that the image is overall too light and does not appear to have the same level of detail and contrast that the previous two have.
Which way to go would depend on what the final use is of the image.

Regards

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Something went wrong and the first two images didn't stay attached to the message. It was my mistake.

Try again

Regards

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:36 pm

Roo,
I'm going to focus on Example 02 SS since it is the closest to the result we are looking for.
From where you are there, use the B channel and remove the blue from the shadows on the right while keeping the sky it's current saturated blue...

It will require some of the pinning and curve moves we have discussed earlier where you prevent the color from changing above or bnelow the area you want to correct.

Greg

Return to “September 2007 Curvemeister 101”