Week 02, Example 05

This board is for the September 2007 Curvemeister 101 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:36 am

Hello again
I had trouble finding something with a colour cast (other than sun-sets and sun-rises) so I finally settled on this interior wedding shot.
The lighting is mixed. Overhead fluorescents to the front of the bridal pair. On the wall behind them there were ordinary tungston lights and as you can see on the table, candles.
Then of course I go and use my flash which seems to have almost killed off the other lighting effects.
There is a difference between the table cloth and the brid's dress and the grooms waistcoat.
However I just set highlight, shadow and ND pins and athere was very little adjustment of the a and b channels.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:32 pm

One thing to remember about an image like this...

White shows color cast much more than black. 
Black will show a cast but you have to look harder to see it.

The bottom line though is what is neutral??  In Lab it is when the A and B are equal and usually 0.  When you set the neutral in lab you are telling the program to make "this point" to be neutral 0,0.  Sometimes, and this is a great example of it by the way...White shows off a really nasty color cast. 

Try this...

Grab the neutral point and drag it around slowly until you find a tone for the image that you like.  I like to call this "neutral thresholding"  you can shop around the image for a better neutral.  Look for one that makes the whites look good and flatters the B&G.  Please post your results and or the original and I'll take a swing at it.

Greg

Return to “September 2007 Curvemeister 101”