Week 02, Example 01

This board is for the September 2007 Curvemeister 101 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:11 am

Hello again
In this image I concentrated on getting the ND patches as neutral as possible.
After setting the Highlight and shadow points I set neutral pins on the end ND patches and used the hue monitor to check the other ND patches. As there was still quite a shift from ND in the other patches I first set a neutral pin into the central ND patch. The patch to it's right was now OK but the two on it's left were still out. I then set a Neutral pin into the left hand of the patches and found that there was no need to pin the remaining patch.
I then noticed that the bright area which includes the skull and mask was not neutral and so I then put a neutral pin into the mask which improved it.
I inserted hue monitoring points into all the pins so that I could establish the performance of the pinning.
Tomorrow I might revisit the image with a view to checking out various brightness curves and seeing what happens.

Regards

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:56 pm

Hey Roo,
Been waiting for the brightness versions you talked about but the real issue in this assignment is the colors and the mixed lighting.  You did a fine job removing the color casts from the various areas.  The Skull is very tricky for most but aside from the brightness issue in the skull you did a fine job there as well...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:08 am

Hello again
Things got a bit busy.
Here is the brightened version.
As you can see I opted for a simple curve. I tried various 'S' curve variations but preffered this one.
From the histogram it's obvious that there is a lot of detail through the entire brightness range and I felt that the trade-offs were nor worth the gains.
This is especially true as there is a lot of objects in the image with no obvious 'subject' that needs to be made to pop out of the background.

Regards

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:32 pm

with all the detail. you could push the highlights down just a bit at the very top of the range and see if the skull looks better..there is a great detail loss in the highlights right now...but the data is there...

Greg

Return to “September 2007 Curvemeister 101”