Week 01, Example 02

This board is for the September 2007 Curvemeister 101 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:39 pm

Hello again
Example 2, like example 1, also has a marked blue colour cast, however, evaluating the various results was a challange.
Wgcmyk was a disapointment. The result was a very dull image.
Lab, after adding colour was acceptible except for the shadows-a very dull and unsatisfactory result.
Rgb had better shadow colour, but when compared to the Hsb conversion seemed a bit contrived and un-natural.
So my decision is for example 2 is Hsb, based on having the best and most natural looking shadow detail and colour.
The midtones and highlights were different and acceptable on all except the wgcmyk conversion.
Regards

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:20 am

One of the advantages of RGB for this image is the fact that you can set more than 1 neutral.  That is one way of getting at the color cast in this image. If you look at my screen capture you actually still have a color cast in the HSB image.

You can also try the following:

It's getting a bit ahead of the lessons but I think you might like it...
Hold down the "Alt" key and click on the image where you see the circle Icon on my image.  This will place a floating hue clock on the image and you will be able to see the hue clock and the color numbers.  You can set as many of these as you want.  Next week we get into how these can help you in a mixed lighting situation.  For today...See if you can adjust the B channel of RGB in to remove the color cast in the areas like the shadows shown. 

Hint:  If you right click on the image and select "mark" you will place an inverted triangle on the curve marking the spot on the curve you need to adjust.  If you throw the entire cuve out of adjustment just use the "reset this curve" button and start again. 

Additional Hint: The curve will pivot around the adjustment point so you need to set "place holders" by clicking on the curve.  This will limit the adjustment range to a much smaller area.

Give it a go and see what happens
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:41 am

Hello again
I did as you suggested and had a bit of a play around with the b channel.
After a bit I could get the gray area at the left hand side of the house neutral, however this made the highlights somewhat yellowish and the red of the roof tiles also turned slightly yellow.
I then altered the bottom-left of the b channel curve to get the tiles red again and then further fiddeling got the highlights neutral too.
I gave up trying to get rid of the red cast around the door. It's lightness value is to close to the brightness of the shadow at the left hand side of the house and so any tweaking to correct that causes the previous adjustments to alter and destroy the previous adjustment effects.
Also I still aren't sure of how to do red, probably a combination of magenta and yellow.
Is there a way of undoing the last adjustment?
While starting from scratch is ok during training, it would be nice to have a history palette so that unsuccessful adjustments can be removed.
My hand slipped on the mouse and wrecked my adjustments so I have no screen shot of what I did.
Regards

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:58 am

To undo the last adjustment I use Control-Z if that does not work I usually have to dump the entire curve and start over..Mike any other options?? 

Greg

Return to “September 2007 Curvemeister 101”