Week1 - 5th image

This board is for the September 2007 Curvemeister 101 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:43 am

This is one of my grandson. There is natural light coming in from camera right but the whole picture is a bit underexposed. This is lab color using a highlight point on the white part of his shirt under the bat. I also increased the saturation a bit and added a lizard tail to bring out some detail on the dark side of his face.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Nice image...

Here is my swing at it. 

I used the thresholding feature of CM to set the Shadow and Highlight, I added a slight s curve to the L channel to sharpen it a bit and give it some needed contrast without losing too much shadow detail.  I set a neutral on the white logo on the shirt to remove the yellowish cast. I then used a feature we will be covering in week 4. I set a Skin Tone Pin on his forehead to make the skin tones look better.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:24 am

Hah! Good idea! I never thought of using just the L channel to boost the contrast. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Now that I look at the image, I do see that yellow cast. I'm seeing a bit of a red one in your version though. Do you see the same thing?

Steve

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:49 am

Here's another attempt. I decided to handle the shadow detail and contrast/color separately. So, I did two passes on it. The first was kind of like the first one. I set a highlight on the white circle under the bat in Lab mode and saved it. The shadows were better but the image was a little flat.

In the next pass, I increased the contrast a little with an S curve and increased the saturation, which ended up giving the image a slight yellow cast. I adjusted for this in the b channel.

Steve

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:55 am

Steve..
While there is a reddish tone to the skin I don't know if it carrys over to the entire image.  There is a red / magenta component to most skin tones.
Here is an interesting  article about skin tones and LAB color spaces.
http://www.swpp.co.uk/professional_imagemaker/accurate_reproduction_skin_tones.htm

Greg

Return to “September 2007 Curvemeister 101”