Introductions

This board is for the September 2007 Curvemeister 101 class

Postby -default » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm Mike Russell, and Gary and I have been teaching this class for quite some time.  My training is in Zoology, but my career turned out to be in computer software.  I've worked at a number of places, including Lucasfilm and Pixar.  Both places were great fun while they lasted, and I carried away a desire to work in computer graphics.  This, together with a long standing interest in photography, and my discovery of Dan Margulis's Professional Photoshop books, led to Curvemeister, which was written over a period of several years starting in about 1999.

The class is designed to give the basics of using curves, but I'd like to extend the program somewhat to include individual images, and what can be done in Photoshop or Elements to improve them.  Although there will be special emphasis on curves, there are any number of powerful techniques in Photoshop that are critical to getting the best from your images.  So anything goes :-)

I'd be interested in hearing your anything about yourself that you'd like to share, particularly of course as it relates to photography and Photoshop.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi everyone my name is Gary, no wait...Gerry, no thats not right...Guy...no...Darn it....

Oh yea..My wife just reminded me...It me Greg.
I am a freelance Photographer, Computer Specilaist and friend of Mike's Just so you all know I took the class twice.  Once to learn how to do this...and once to re-learn how after I thought I knew what to do. 

I'm still learning about digitial photography, I guess I always will be.  My most famous quote...Ok the one I have to put alot of salt on to swallow is..."They will never get the pixel size down to small enough to replace 120mm Film" - Greg Groess 1989 

That being said...
I am constantly amazed at the quality of work and ease of use I find in the digital realm.  I learned to take photos with a film camera 25 years ago.  My first instructor always pushed me to be better at my work..some of that has rubbed off on me.  If I ask you to push it farther it does not in any way mean that you have it wrong.  it just means that there is room to play and you might find something more interesting if you take a chnace. Most of the stuff we do is subjective and there is certainly room in the course for you to add your personal touches to the images.

Greg

Return to “September 2007 Curvemeister 101”