Graffiti

This board is for the January 2008 Curvemeister 101 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:53 am

To do this example is not a problem for me.
Interesting are all the masks.
I have set the color bump in Lab on 3.00 and clicking each mask from skin downwards.
Interesting the chanches but also i find there are lots of good results, i would choose on myself.
But for only the left side there are more or less  masks to do with it.

But what really is a problem for me to do it WITHOUT masking, that the left colours rises and the right less.
Seeiing each color space, looking to the worms of the area   where the colors are of the rigt site, i don't know how to do it.
I have manipulates the HSB saturation curve on different ways, but the result is bad.
Also blocking parts in lab mode or other mode, is no succes.
So, give me a hint.

Frits

Postby -default » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:20 pm

It sounds to me like you have the basic technique of using the mask, and the are aware that it's necessary, for some images, to modify the brighter areas more than the darker areas.  If you understand that, and it sounds like you do, that's the point of this example.

On a broader front, there is an additional technique from Dan's Lab book, called the "Man From Mars" technique.  We'll be looking at in the next session.  The basis of that technique is to ctrl-click colors on the image, creating curve control points for the colors that you want to change.  Once this is done, you can move the colors vertically on the a and b curves, to make them closer together, further apart, more saturated, or more neutral.  This is a very powerful technique that does not particularly rely on masking (though it can be used with it).

So, I were doing this image without masking, I'd control click on various colors, and move them vertically on the a and b curves.  Be sure to use a relatively larve curve to do this, and use the arrow keys to make sure you move the points vertically only.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Mike,
thanks i will try it.
It is a long time ago that i read Dan's book "photoshop LAb color".
Is it the same book. ? i can't remember it , and also not in the index.
I must  go on in this book once again.

frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Mike or Greg,

it was more difficult then I thaught, also after the instruction of Mike.
i have a lot experimented.
On one moment i take a other approach.
the lighten Mask -saturated picure where my example on the other monitor.
I make the orginal picture the same saturated, without a mask.
So it is to saturated on the right site.
I did pingrid the a and the b channel.
Now I carefully looked to the places where i should minimize the saturation.
You can easily see that on the worms. also a Ctrl clickpoint helps to exactly see the place to work on.
That i have done and each time compared with the masked saturated version.
So, i think it nearly the same.
( the satuaration slider was set on 3.00, and i used a neutral point on the street, 2 pass CM)

Frits

Return to “January 2008 Curvemeister 101”