Whoa - getting toward the end of the class

This board is for the January 2008 Curvemeister 101 class

Postby -default » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:41 pm

The time has flown by.  You guys have been fantastic - thank you for a great class.

As we approach the end of the class, please whether there is something you wanted to learn from the class, that hasn't been covered, or has not been covered as much as you would have liked.  I will do my best to incorporate it into the last session.

Greg and Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Mike and Greg,

I think you have both done a fantastic job at teaching me/us how to use CM and it's features and therefore it is difficult to think of anything else - you have certainly completed the training 100%.

I am a learner at post-processing techniques and slowly getting better and better (I hope!) and I can appreciate what a tool, such as CM, can do.  The trouble is 'seeing' the image in the first place and then deducing which colour space and tool to use to do what I want.  One of the real benefits in this course, compared to last year, is the videos and watching and learning from what you do.  I plan to subscribe to Dan's videos in a few months time when his new work-flow is recorded and the response time has improved.

What I would really gain a lot from, is videos from you (because honestly you have the knack at explaining things) at how you go about deciding what to do with an image - but I realise that is not the point of this course (which is learning the tools rather than when to use them).  So if you ever think about doing a post-processing course that would be great.

Last year I took this picture and changed it with two layers of curves plus a BlendIF.  I could work out what to do as I just did it one step at a time.  Out of interest I have just re-done this again in a single CM pass (a wee challenge to the rest of the class?!), but I do not think I could have deduced that (not even now) when I initially started on the image - I guess this comes down to practice and experience, and for the life of me I do not see how to shorten that.

But I think being set challenges goes someway to helping me think differently, but it is virtually impossible to set oneself a post-processing challenge (because one would not know if it was possible!) and without guidance one would not expand ones way of thinking and make leaps forward - silly question, but do you have any thoughts on this?

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Mike and Greg, thank you so very much for CM and for this class. I cannot imagine using PS without CM, they belong together. I've learned a lot and really enjoyed it.  A new horizon in image editing has opened.
Two questions. 1. I presume "GCR" setting is the degree of blackness in the K-cannel of wgCMYK. What does GCR stand for?
2. The Alpha channels in photoshop to be used as a mask in CM? Can you explain a litttle more please.
(Perhaps part of the last class)
Kind regards
Ganna

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:12 pm

But I think being set challenges goes someway to helping me think differently, but it is virtually impossible to set oneself a post-processing challenge (because one would not know if it was possible!) and without guidance one would not expand ones way of thinking and make leaps forward - silly question, but do you have any thoughts on this?

Chris,
Whenever I have taught someone "how to" in Photography, the hardest part was always getting them to go past where they thought they should / could  go.  It is very hard to find that boundry alone.  That is where Photogroups pop into my head...I have never joined one because I have always been challenged by the work I am doing and my desire to do what I do better. 

I think by default I have joined one now...Curvemeister...I know that personally this group and it's questions have pushed me to look harder and deeper into the images I create.

One of the things I know about this forum is, if you post an image with a question or a challenge you will get responses.  Mike used to do a challenge image on the main page but it was always up to Mike to come up with the challenge.  The obvious question wouold be do you think a return of the challenge image would be helpful? 

I would also like to ask you to consider posting some of your post processing stuff from your web page to the Wiki. especially the CM or curves related information.  It is an open Wiki and your knowlege would only add to the knowledge base.

With fear that I am rambling, I will stop here, I want to keep the communication open and ask you to continue to contribute.  Sometimes that alone will drive the exploration...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Well Greg - another Challenge - never tried playing with Wiki - is it easy?

Regarding challenge images - Mike is very good a taking bad/interesting photos that need a lot of adjustment - I havent developed that knack yet! - it would be very nice to have more images to play with, I do look at photo forums, but it is the group discussion/comparison which I think really helps and then an expert solution at the end is just great.  I've tried searching the web for such a forum, but never found one.

I'll keep pushing CM in my own small way, but I have a feeling that there are not that many people out there which really enjoy the pp side of photography - I now find it as rewarding as actually taking the photos in the first place.

I'll stop rambling too!
Chris

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:48 pm

All,  I'd like to thank all the participants who responded to my questions and answered them as they could. CM is a great addition to PSE particularly the hue clock and pinning process and now the magic worm. Thanks Mike!
Joe S

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Chris,
I think you might have found one...

The Wiki is pretty easy to write to...If you go out there create an account for yourself and open one of the articles I have posted.  near the top is an edit tab.  Click it and you will go to the default editor.  There are some great tools on the resources page for editing pages in word and converting or editing in Firefox...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Thank you Mike and Greg.
  One more week to go, What a fantastic course and group this has been. Mike, the videos are great and Greg, I really learn from your response. It is how I use these tools after that will really count.  Seeing how others in the group handle the example is also a great learning tool, so too those who have added there curves and information on how they processed the example, a big thank you.
  Now to finish this week and on too the next.
  As Mike says "Happy Curving".
        Barry

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:14 pm

So everybody: "SPREAD THE WORD"...eh ... I mean the CM.
make publicity when it is possible.
Frits

Return to “January 2008 Curvemeister 101”