Week 5 'Blacked Tassels'

This board is for the January 2008 Curvemeister 101 class
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:50 pm

I started late. There where some reasons.
One was that  i had to convert lot of curvemeister-video to .wmv in the old elements 6.0

Here is my contribution.
I had to see the movie 4 times to fully understand it.
Now i hope , when it is necessary in the future, that i can choose the right mask.

Frits

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Good Job Fritz...

Do you have any specific questions you need answered??  It sounds like you are frustrated with this...

Let me know off line if necessary...

BTW if you lessen the contrast on the mask a bit you can get the shadows to go black under the tassels as well..it is a very slight adjustment to the mask...make the curve line slope less and you should see what I mean...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:04 pm

Good Job Fritz...

Do you have any specific questions you need answered??  It sounds like you are frustrated with this...

Let me know off line if necessary...

BTW if you lessen the contrast on the mask a bit you can get the shadows to go black under the tassels as well..it is a very slight adjustment to the mask...make the curve line slope less and you should see what I mean...

Greg

perhaps a little frustrated. It looks to me difficult to choose the right mask.
before the lessons starts , i have experimented with the moutain  and the mask Mike chose.
I had never come on that idea myself.
And that is  the point. how i SEE wha ti must do.
Much practising , i think.

Before i read your reaply , i had made some other colors.

Frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Good Job Fritz...
Greg

Before , i had read your replay , i had read this before in  one of your answers to others.
So i did it, but perhaps to less.

frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:10 pm

Good Job Fritz...

Greg

you mean the  shadows of the tassels in the screen pointing down ?

Frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Greg,
indeed, you can get these shadows more black, but at the cost that the picture tend to darken a little.
frits

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Yes, the shadows on the shelf near the bottom..they tend to pick up a red halo around them from the reflected light on the original red tassel. 

As to which mask is the "best"...  it does come down to choices..I find that I start on the color opposites and work outward from there.  What I mean by that is If I am making a B&W mask of a blue object I will look at the yellow and red channels first.  That does not mean that I choose them..It just means that I have a starting point.

One advantage Mike has besides his status as "Der Curvemeister" is he can play around a bit with the images before he writes and records the "solutions".  You might not see the trail and error parts of the process but he too has to have a starting point. 

I'm not saying he doesn't have an idea where to start...I'm simply stating that while he makes the solutions look simple and fast...there is more thought and process that he puts into it...He has to keep the answers on the simple side so that it is a reasonable size for the video and so that It is repeatable.  Also you should note the goals are pretty straight forward.  We want you to get the concepts so you have the tools to explore and "play".

Our real goal is to make Curvemeister one of your primary image correction tools, to give you the information you need to use the tool to it's fullest and to unlock your imagination so you can take it further.

Hope this helps..

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Our real goal is to make Curvemeister one of your primary image correction tools, to give you the information you need to use the tool to it's fullest and to unlock your imagination so you can take it further.

Hope this helps..

Greg

Greg, of course it help and i understand our goal. But i need a lot of practicing.

thanks!
Normally i go late  to bed!
But i have to bring my grandchild to school on 8:45 in the morning.
So it is sleeping time.
I have lot learned to day.
sleep well.

frits

Return to “January 2008 Curvemeister 101”