Greetings Everyone!

This board is for the January 2008 Curvemeister 101 class
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 pm

My name is Greg Groess.  I am a freelance photographer, computer analyst and friend of der Curvemeister.  Many of you have taken class before.  Welcome Back....

To those of you who are new...

This class really thrives on your input.  Please ask questions, discuss things and post lot's of examples.  The more you put into this the more you will take away from it...
Dont' Panic.....

Everyone in the class has some insight that they should be wiling to bring forward.  I for instance bring past experience in helping people through the class.  I also bring a willingness to try to figure out what is going on and also a willingness to admit when I am wrong...I hope that will be a rare occurence...the "being wrong" part....

Please take a minute to post to this thread to introduce yourselves...It helps everyone be more conversational if we know something about each other.

Posting images does go a bit better if you save them as JPG files and size them to about 800X600.  Make sure the quality is as high as possible to fit under the 200k cap per image. I usually download the image and open it in PS so I can see what you have going on,  you might have to make more than 1 posting per set of images.

Also, Please post your images to a new topic instead of adding onto another posting..it helps us in two ways.  I can refer you back to your own topics and you willnot get missed because I did not see a posting update to an older topic.

Thanks for your time and talent....
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Good day every one,

I am Frits Egelie, a dutch member of this group.
My age is 66 , so I am retired.
In the past I have followed the lessons, but I am glad to follow this new lessons again.
Many things I am forgotten and also the new things like masks in Curvemeister attracts me to follow these lessons.
It is not daily meat, to use Curvemeister.
Also, it is possible that I make many english writing errors. ( mea culpa)
Frits Egelie

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi,

I'm Chris Broadhurst and just a bit younger than Frits, retired and got the bug on post-processing - I think because it gives me a real thrill to create a better image than I've been given (by my camera) and I also love a challenge.

I took this course last year and learnt a whole heap - mainly by getting things wrong and with help from Greg to try and get me going in the right direction.

I find that my mind wanders, mainly through dying grey cells, as I process an image and frequently forget the basic curving before I jump in and try something more 'exciting' - I then curse when I realise I should always start with a curve.

I have been foolish enough to read (only twice so far) Dan Margulis's Lab book and have been given his PP5E book for Christmas (so far upto chap 4 on first reading) - but I still normally fail to achieve what I know is possible.  I hope re-taking this course, plus the new things, will help me understand and get better.

I look forward to 'talking' to you all and exchanging views/problems.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi,

I'm Chris Broadhurst and just a bit younger than Frits, retired and got the bug on post-processing - I think because it gives me a real thrill to create a better image than I've been given (by my camera) and I also love a challenge.

I took this course last year and learnt a whole heap - mainly by getting things wrong and with help from Greg to try and get me going in the right direction.

I find that my mind wanders, mainly through dying grey cells, as I process an image and frequently forget the basic curving before I jump in and try something more 'exciting' - I then curse when I realise I should always start with a curve.

I have been foolish enough to read (only twice so far) Dan Margulis's Lab book and have been given his PP5E book for Christmas (so far up to chap 4 on first reading) - but I still normally fail to achieve what I know is possible.  I hope re-taking this course, plus the new things, will help me understand and get better.

I look forward to 'talking' to you all and exchanging views/problems.

themightyzog

i was just closing down, ad you reply coming in.
Here in Holland it is now 21: 47 H so I am tired of a whole day computing.
It is always practising with curvemeister. You must do it several times a week, to not forget to handle.
So you have the same book Dan Margulis's Lab book  myself.
I have read also twice.
But lot of things I can't practising what is in the book. with photoshop elements.
So, there is now a mask possibility in curvemeister and i hope to do some things what is written in the book.
I must reading this book again.
so i am closing now.
Perhaps i See you to morrow.
But my grandchildren are there and they will computing. ! So perhaps in the evening I have more time.

bye bye,
Frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,

I'm Mandy and I've been learning photography for two years now.  It started as a new hobby, but rapidly became a passion making my experience in Asia all the more enjoyable (I was starting to get restless and wanted to move on).  I want to spelawn jockeye in portraits as there are so many interesting characters to meet (I'm a teacher and I think this comes out when I'm behind the camera, I'll let you work out if that means I am bossy or engaging).

Greg asked about my experience, I assume he was talking about photoshop!  As soon as I started taking snaps, I wanted to play with them to correct my mistakes. I'm primarily self taught with lots of trial and error.  I veer towards the obsessive at times.  Don't talk to me about Dan M's books - he's the reason I found Curvemeister.

Here's to a new learning curve.

For those of you who are wondering about my spelling - I keep modifying the post, but even the modification defaults it to spelawn!!!  There's a prize for the person who can guess the missing word.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi,
For those of you who are wondering about my spelling - I keep modifying the post, but even the modification defaults it to spelawn!!!  There's a prize for the person who can guess the missing word.

Manda,
there are also other people for instance me, which has always a little trouble with the english writing and spelling.
I use often the spellchecker and I use also often the prgr BABYLON for translation and of course many other things.
so, it goes each day a little easier.

Frits

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi to all. My name is Martin Kirstein from the Kwa Zulu Natal midlands in South Africa. I'm a Dentist and unfortunately have to spend more time at work than behind the computer. I am looking forward to this course and to learn from the experienced people on this forum.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi
  Finally, a chance to get into this class. Been a busy week so far and I am retired. Older than Frits. I live on the west coast of Canada. This my third go at Mike's class, learned a lot before and will, I am sure, learn a lot in this one. Colour and bring out the best in colour has not always been easy for me,so seeing how others do it helps.
  I will try to get my samples in to day and before I look at your videos Mike.
    Thanks
        Barry Pettinger

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:35 am

Greg, are you expecting completed examples of the Gray/Black box images (ex 1, 2 etc) to be sent in for review?
Thanks Joe S

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:13 am

That is completely up to you...some ahve posted some have not...

I think you either get them or you don't if you don't you should be asking for help so we can get you past them...

Let me know what you need...

Greg

Return to “January 2008 Curvemeister 101”