Editing in CM vs RAW?

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:25 pm

Instead of using CM, why would one choose to make corrections "in RAW" or via RAW conversion settings?

Teffy

Medical stuff kept me away from much of the class, but now I emerge from the shadows ;-)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm

ACR is sometimes like a sledge hammer where as CM is more of a soft brush.  I have much more control in CM than I feel I have in ACR. It could be my lack of trying....

I have to go through ACR to open my NEF images and sometimes make rough corrections to make my CM life easier but I do not in general like the interface.

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Greg, I agree with you. In CS3 you can open .JPG files in the Raw converter. I roughly do some global editing here, especially if you do 10 or more images that's more or less the same. For instance removal of red eye, some cropping, fill in light, little noise reduction, romoval of spots and scratches, etc. I then go into PS and do (use CM as the main part)the rest of my fine tuning here.

Postby -default » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:52 pm

I think Greg sums it up.  Another analogy would be that processing the raw file is very similar to developing the negative of the image.  The philosophy of most raw converters is developing by inspection, that is taking a peek while development is in progress. 

It's also important that Curvemeister can also be used this way, making subjective adjustments based on the appearance of the image.  The majority, though not all, of the methods taught in the class rely on numerical targets such as neutrals, highlights, and shadows.

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”