Did we miss anything?

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:39 pm

As we go through the last week of official classwork; I'd like to remind all of you that you can continue to access this board and topics for as long as you want.  Mike typically does not delete anything from here for more than a year.

I'd like to thank all of you for participation and submissions.  Your comments, questions and revelations helped everyone get more out of the class.

Remember that CM is one of the most powerful tools in your toolbox if you use it...If you forget, lose touch, or just feel like you need help, please ask in the forums or on this class board.  I watch for new questions all the time. 

Did we miss anything??  Are there any questions you felt you needed a better or more complete answer to??  If so please ask..If Mike or I cannot answer quickly we will work with you to find an answer.

Lastly I'd like to Thank All Of You.  Everytime I teach this class I learn something from the photographers and image professionals.  It is one of the perks of the task....

Not quite the end....

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 am

Mike and Greg, a great big thank you for your hard labour and time spent. When I asked to do this class for the second time I thought I wouldn't learn much; on the contrary it was worth it. Sorry, the reason for my quietness, my work kept me quite busy this last week. Thanks again. I've learned a lot more and polished the rest of my knowledge. The other night we visited friends and they ask help with editing an image on CS2. I opened and CM was not there. I really felt lost. I will give them a demo when they visit us.  Thanks again.
Ganna

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:37 pm

We didn't touch the Black and white conversion aspect of CM, esp in PSE where you do not have channels. I love B&W images and use CM for that, through the action Mike supplied long ago. I've actually set my PS up that F2 = normal CM and ctrl+F2 the B&W conversion of CM.  Interesting though is that in Lab mode the image stay colour  while in CM and only change to B&W once it is saved. The other colour spaces  not, so that I for instance in RGB play around with the R,G,and B curves until I like it. (then you can see how the B&W image change, as it appears as  B&W here, )
Attached is an example.
Greg, perhaps you can shine light on the correct way to do it :)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Well now....

I kind of combine 2 processes for my B&W Conversions.  I use CM and I use part of a process from Katrin Eismann out of Photoshop Restoration and Retouching.

Here is the work flow...

1) Copy the original Image X 2 using the Image > Duplicate command.  Call them Copy 1 and Copy 2
2) Select copy 1 and switch it to LAB mode.  Image>Mode>Lab
3) Switch to channels on the LAB image and select the L channel only.  Using CM I adjust the image for the shadows and mid-range parts of the image. Save CM changes and copy the L channel using Ctrl-A "Select All" then Crtl-C "Copy".
4) Select the original image to paste the L channel into it as a layer; click on the image and press Ctrl-V to paste it.

5) Select Copy 2 of the image still in RGB mode and using the channels pallet command "Split Channels" create 3 copies of the image as R, G, and B. 

6) Select the version of the file from one of these three R, G, Or B that has the best highlights and I open it in CM to tweak it a bit.
7) Copy the image after the CM tweak using Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C.
8.  Paste it over the L channel on the original image Ctrl-V and using the opacity slider adjust it to your liking.

I have found that using the 2 different layers helps me get the most out of the image.  There might be a faster work flow and I am willing to explore it more but this has worked well for me..BTW It allows me to use the mask features as well from CM so I can mask in B&W modes.

Many times just curving the L channel is enough but skin tones really make you think hard about the desired results.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Using PSE6 converter, I tried to match the textures of the skin and materiel of the sleeve.Also darken the shadows between fingers to suggest roundness.I'll use Gannna's image as a baseline  to try other conversions.

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”