Week 1 - Workflow discussion revisited....

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:53 am

Outstanding to me: image is underexposed. I use  PS CS3 and can open a .jpg file in camera Raw.
Step 1 Editing in camera Raw:(i) Pushed exposure slider to +2.20 (ii) Fill light slider to 40 (iii) Boosted the mid tone contrast by clarity slider to +30
Step 2 Editing in PS -> CM in Lab mode: (i) Set the shadow, highlight and neutral (ii) check skin tones... which is OK here (iii) saturation slider to 1.30 to boost the colour
Step 3 sharpening and save image

That was very close to how i handled it in my workflow.  I did not mess with the fill light in ACR I just used the CM tool to make my adjustments...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Here was my approach to this image.

1.  Because the image was horribly underexposed, I started by dragging the highlight threshold to the left, until I started seeing some specks of highlight.  The white part of the upper boy's shirt was the key.
2.  I would do the same on the shadow side, but there is no room in this image.
3.  Next I looked for something I could confidently assign a neutral to.  I used the lower boy's T-shirt, which I assume is white.
4.  Then I pinned a skin tone on the lower boy's forearm.
5.  Next I used the ab saturation slider to pop up the color a bit.
6.  Finally, I lifted the upper part of the L channel a bight to further brighten the image.  There wasn't much room here because of the severe underexposure in the original image.

Result looks surprisingly good, given the original.

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”