A new short excersize in playing with Contrast Pins

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:14 am

Use the attached image to play around with Contrast Pins in different color spaces.

Create a pair of adjustment points; one in the text and one in the background; and link them by clicking on one and Ctrl-Clicking on the second.
Put the mouse on the curve frame. 
You should see a bent double arrow in the edge of the frame.
Click on the frame and drag the mouse around the frame to adjust the contrast pin.

Play around and explore.  The goal here is to explore the possibilities, associate the technique with future uses for contrast pins, and get more familiar with contrast pins and their uses. 

You should be able to make the text various colors and by using the other channels you should be able to change the background color without effecting the text.

You have done this in Grey scale...now play in color....

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Greg, I presume this type of playing around?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Exactly...
I really just wanted people to play around and get to know more about contrast pins...

Usually when you say contrast most people think Black and white or contrasty images.....The real power is seen next week when you are asked to separate the greens in some of the foliage. 

It is also a mild riposte to the "What good are contrast pins?" comment.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:05 pm

I had to put the cursor right at the border of text and ground to get worms

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:58 am

Very interesting exercise Greg.

When I used GregM's idea of contrast pins and worms it worked fine, but I did not seem to manage when I Control click the points on the iamge and then failed to get all the channels linked by control clicking on them on the curves - what should I have done?

Also any idea why I failed in rgb to remove all the text?

Chris
PS - have been a little silent as I was away for a few days

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Chris,
When you create the "Contrast Pin"  manually, you should already have both pins on the curve my manually selecting them. Then you need to have the first point selected with the circle around it before Ctrl-Clicking the second point.  You can try to use the right click command for this but you'll end in frustration. 

The idea here was to make you construct a contrast pin set in an extreme situation so that you get a better feel for this type of pin.  It also forces you to concentrate only on the process of contrast pinning in a color channel.  This will be especially helpful next week wit the trees and rocks in the gorge pictures...One of the real powers of the contrast pin is in separating different variations of the same color to accentuate the difference in greens in the leaves of a tree for instance.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Aha.

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”