Skin Tone Pinning - Overexposed Skin Areas?

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:00 pm

GregM,
Is there a custom profile being used by your PC?? Either PS or on the monitor?? 

I try to keep mine in the sRGB color space.  Keeps it simple for me.  Most users starting out in the class are set up this way and colors and adjustments match better.

Zog...
How interesting...Personally when I looked at the image it looked too "pink" which visually tells me too red...hence I checked the hue clocks.  Also remember that he used Capture NX to create the image.  My intent was to show that there was room for improvement over NX. 

I love these discussions...everyone learns something from these...

Greg

Postby -default » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:15 pm

Just a note to others who may be looking at this and wondering if they need to use this many hue clocks when they check an image. 

Short answer: no.  Normally you would use one hue clock, and move the point around, searching for areas of skin tone that are outside the "lunch hour" of 12 to 1 o'clock.  When you find such an area, leave the hue clock there, move the curves a bit, and then do another check.  If, for your own convenience, you want to use more than one clock, you are free to do so.  Usually no more than two or three are required, even for a complex image with lots of skin tones.

When posting an image here, of course, you can't move the clock around, so instead we put a bunch of clocks on the screen.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:14 pm

Greg,no custom profile that I'm aware of.I adjusted my ATI video card to show all the boxes.This is a redo in NX with the brightness pulled down,no "warmth".

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:17 pm

hmmm...
Interesting....I shall have to think on this one a bit....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Guys,wouldn't this image be one of 30 or 40 that would be printed out at 4 by 6 or 5 by7 and passed around?I think a quick and easy fix is all that's needed.I used NX because it provides an easy selection or masking function and I stink at layers and masks in Photoshop.

Postby -default » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Guys,wouldn't this image be one of 30 or 40 that would be printed out at 4 by 6 or 5 by7 and passed around?I think a quick and easy fix is all that's needed.I used NX because it provides an easy selection or masking function and I stink at layers and masks in Photoshop.

In a class setting, the goal is to learn techniques.  For that reason, I recommend that you try to see what can be done with curves to improve the skin tones, regardless of whether it is a masterpiece or not.

Besides, perhaps the image is important to its owner, and if curves become easier to use, perhaps you will start to use them as your favorite tool when addressing piles of 4x6 images.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 pm

Having done six versions of the image perhaps I should have phrased that differently.GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:57 am

Not to worry Greg. 
I know from personal experience that Mike is extremely tolerant of different opinions and ideas.
I have pushed the envelope multiple times here and we always find a way on CM to  explore ideas and challenge each other without offending...

Please challenge us when you think you have a valid point. We always like to explore and discuss. 
I have found this to be a flame proof forum...

Greg

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”