All's quiet on the western front....

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:11 pm

It is again real quiet out here....

This scares me a bit..  
Is everyone getting the information they need??

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Greg, I have a question. The attached scanned image is of yours truly (1993) (Please use it as you wish) The colour cast is because of a tinted canopy. How would you approach an image like this. Would you only colour correct what's inside the cockpit ie skintone etc or would you attemp to fix everything, that is the outside as well. The glider is white.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Since the person is the subject and the lighting is coming in from the canopy I would fix the person and see what happens to the color.  It might just be alright...

Using the white shirt as a neutral and then pinning the skin is how I approched this one...

I went for a darker skin pin since you looked like you had a Tan.  The sky would be a mask after the rest of the image was cleaned up...I'd probably try to make the wings neutral after that.  But that high up in the sky they are reflecting Blue quite strongly.  I don't really have a problem with them being partly sky blue.

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Very well done, thanks Greg. I find, if you start right, the rest is easier. I tried starting with the wing, because I know the little sliding window is not tinted, but really went from bad to worse. So what I learned here is that you start with the subject first and then drift outwards. Thanks again.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm

It is again real quiet out here....

This scares me a bit.. 
Is everyone getting the information they need??

Greg

Hi Gregg,  I've been spinning my wheels all week.  In example 4 with the monkey I can't find the unlock button on the sample palette.  I tried to ask for help a couple of days ago and had trouble posting to the site.  Finally found I had a bad keyboard.  Replaced it today and am ready to go.

Don 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:17 pm

I would say from a photographic standpoint the rest is background.  I really want you to look good so I concentrate on that.  The visual cues are the straps and the shirt.  The straps could be grey but the shadows of the shirt were a better bet.  If the shirt was not white I might have had my hands full.  

The canopy would act as a filter for both the existing light and as a photo filter for the outside .  So if the shift was due to the canopy then getting the interior light right was a safe bet.  If it is due to color fade or Ecktachrome shift I would have tried the same thing hoping to be right but I would have gone for white on the wings too if that failed.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Just trying for mirror image on roof of canopy

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Don,

See attached Screen Shot....The little stick pin in the corner of the skin pin is what we mean here...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Just trying for mirror image on roof of canopy

I'm not sure what you are trying to get to...trying to make the reflection look better??

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:50 pm

Yes,then I went back to simple CM moves

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”