Rescue My Image....

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:50 pm

One of the things we want to do each week is a "rescue my image" feature where you post an image to the class and everyone takes a shot at fixing it.  We want to include CM in the process but we also want to show how CM is a part of the larger workflow for image rescue.  We'd like to try this out and see if it works....

Weekly, we would like an image from each of you for the class to repair. 

Mike or I, sometimes both, will be creating a video of a solution that everyone can see of one or two of the images and the class will be posting their solutions as well.  The idea is to get more workflow and process information into the class so you know when and when not to use CM in image repair.

Please feel free to post an image into this string....
Let's see what we can do to "Rescue Your Image"

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm not nearly as good as Mike in taking badly exposed photos!  But I did manage this one - not very exciting and you could choose to ignore it.

The shot was taken at an Old Time Music Hall earlier this year - she was playing the piano and lit by a faintish tungsten stage light from above and slightly past her right shoulder. 

However I also used flash with a full CT filter in front of it in an attempt to balance the light source temperatures.  I suspect the ISO was 1600.

As you can see on her hands, this was not very successful.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Nice....

Thanks for the easy underhand pitch....

Let's see what we can do...
Everyone should also take a look at this and start thinking about how you would tackle it. 

If you have no Idea at this point that is ok. 
Please continue to check back on this thread and ask loads of questions.

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Here is old  slide that I scanned in, with a rather ordinary scanner. Hope this is the right place and time for my contribution. Here is an opportunity to clean up the dirt, colour correct, overexposure fix and noise treatment.
Greg, thanks, great idea to show how CM can be used as part of the chain in PS to rescue an image.
Ganna

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:07 pm

wow, they just keep getting easier...lol!

Thanks Ganna....
More grist for the mill...as Mike would say....
Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm not nearly as good as Mike in taking badly exposed photos!  But I did manage this one - not very exciting and you could choose to ignore it.

The shot was taken at an Old Time Music Hall earlier this year - she was playing the piano and lit by a faintish tungsten stage light from above and slightly past her right shoulder. 

However I also used flash with a full CT filter in front of it in an attempt to balance the light source temperatures.  I suspect the ISO was 1600.

As you can see on her hands, this was not very successful.

Chris, my attempt at your pianist. Firstly used the clone stamp tool to fisx the hands. In CM Lab I pinned skin tone, then played with shadows/highlight and slightly sharpened it
Ganna

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Here is my rescued image.  I used the CM wizard but the sky came out an ugly cyan so I went to the photoshop Hue Saturation tool and made it blue again.  My colors may be a bit off.  I am half way through getting my cataracts fixed and the right eye is about a half stop brighter than the left and about a whole shade whiter.

Don

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:42 am

RGB.Strange banding discouraged further attempts to get some green in scene.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:10 am

Got cup and wood paneling white.Skin seems OK.Will work on hands as per Ganna.The detail to the womans hat reminds me of  the detail in Ganna's giraffe picture back in Jan.GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:26 am

OK...

This correction was done with only CM and the clone stamp to fix the color bands and noise in the sky. 
Our intention here is not to one up anyone but rather to show the abilities of CM and the power it can unleash for you to fix troubled images.

My work flow was open in CM set to the RGB color space. 
I used a color pin to get the sky correct and then set a neutral under the wing in RGB.

I closed CM and then re-opened in LAB there I tweaked the grass a bit...I'm still not too happy with the grass but I had to stop before I made a mess of it.  I increased the contrast overall in LAB by adjusting the L channel something we will be covering in the class.

I closed CM and used the clone stamp to fix the color band across the image.  I also clone stamped out any sky "issues" I created in the RGB sky pinning step.

This one might make a good video because the entire correction was in CM.

Greg

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”