A breif analysis of the Monterrey Image. - Video

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:19 am

Here is a link to a flash video.  Please be patient as it downloads.

The purpose of this is to give some of you an insight into the approach I use to correct an image, the things I look for, and the analysis I use to create a plan for any image I correct.

http://www.curvemeister.com/video/greg/Monterrey_Analysis.swf

I know that my approach is not the only way to go about this, we hear many questions about work flow and approach so I want to try explain the process I use better and hope that this helps you think about the image more as you begin the correction process.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 am

Nice and interesting Greg - a couple of points I'd like to bring up...

- could you post how long the video is, so that one knows how long to set aside to watch it uninterrupted

- if I heard correctly, you used CM to create 3 images that you then put through the HDR process.  All I did in my HDR approach was to change the number of bits up to 16 & then 32 (this was in CS2) and then down again to 8, and on the way down set it to Local Adaptation and then played with the Toning Curve (radius - 16px & threshold 0.50)  - a technique I read about on the web somewhere.

I think your suggestion about fully analysing the image, and writing down what to do, is an excellent one - I tend to just say "oh the shadows need lifting & I'd like some colour and contrast in the centre rocks" and away I go.  Somethings then surprise me - like the tree actually being green.

Thank you
Chris

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:43 pm

What I do For the HDR on JPG images is....

I use CM to lift the L channel so that the 50 on L is 75 to 85 depending on the needs for shadow detail. I then save it as a new file with a P1 at the end of the name so I know what I set it to P being Plus 1 being the approxamate stops.  Then I do the same thing but use CM to lower the 50 on L to 25 again depending on the needs for highlight detail.  Save it as a new file with M1 as a minus file. 

I then combine those images into an HDR.  I currently use Dynamic HDR to make my HDR image I find the PS interface too clunky.

As for the Length of the video I'll try to post file sizes for you all so that you know if you can go get a adult beverage as needed....

Greg

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”