Have we covered everything??

This board is for the September 2008 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:29 pm

As we work through the last week of class I want to thank everyone for their participation and interest.  I would alsolike to make sure you have had all of your questions answered.

Please make sure you post your questions here or on the main boards after the class so that Mike, myself or others have the chance to help you.

If we need to cover something else please let us know....

Greg

j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:05 pm

It would be nice to explain the hue and the saturation rope.

On the saturation rope:  if I click a point and move it upward, I get  more saturated colors of that value?

Here are some suggestions,

I am a visual artist, so for me understanding any kind of visual stuff deserve my goals. Not everyone has red Dan Margulis books: they deserve a full year study or so I think.  I found them hard to understand and after I bought it I am reading them again. I get lot of spare time but a shorter life ahead :o)   It seems that the actual participants already lack of time.

The Hue rope represent 0 to 360 degrees. I  click a point on the middle of the rope and move it upward, I get a 180 degrees shifted to a 200 degrees?  If I move it to the left or right?

Another thing to clarify, could be when to use one or other color space. I know from D Margulis that Lab is good for Skin and Canyon, etc.  From the course that CMYK is good for skies . . . I noticed sometimes that RGB was good for certain pictures. "Cast that vary has the image gets darker, has this yellow . . . are better handled in rgb" DM Canyon Conundrum P290

I understand in the previous there is a long term improvement to be developed by creating a listing and examples of such use of color space. A lot of work maybe or  a slow and relatively easy building along the way  has examples jumps from themselves while teaching. Maybe just renaming all of the 6 weeks course examples with an additionnal variable like -rgb-; -rgb- meaning that the image is 'inclined' for that color space.

My 2 cents (added to the previous 2, that's make four)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:37 pm

It would be nice to explain the hue and the saturation rope.

On the saturation rope:  if I click a point and move it upward, I get  more saturated colors of that value?

You get a more saturated range of values since dragging the curve does not move just the point you have grabbed rather it moves a "range" of values.  You would pick the center of the range for the most increase in value but other values will be changing as well.

I am a visual artist, so for me understanding any kind of visual stuff deserve my goals. Not everyone has red Dan Margulis books: they deserve a full year study or so I think.  I found them hard to understand and after I bought it I am reading them again. I get lot of spare time but a shorter life ahead :o)   It seems that the actual participants already lack of time.

Reading Dan is not really required just a pretty good idea...I found him to make a lot of sense having a basic training in color printing

The Hue rope represent 0 to 360 degrees. I  click a point on the middle of the rope and move it upward, I get a 180 degrees shifted to a 200 degrees?  If I move it to the left or right?

If you think of the Hue curve as a circle 0-359 which is normal...dragging a point on the curve will create an oval or egg shape.  If you move the curve left or right it will shift the hue making the oval shape off centered.  This is one of the primary reasons that Hue is a tough space to make color corrections in and we tend to avoid it.  It may make sense visually but it is hard to curve it very easily.

Another thing to clarify, could be when to use one or other color space. I know from D Margulis that Lab is good for Skin and Canyon, etc.  From the course that CMYK is good for skies . . . I noticed sometimes that RGB was good for certain pictures. "Cast that vary has the image gets darker, has this yellow . . . are better handled in rgb" DM Canyon Conundrum P290

A set of examples would be good. But...  There is always a ton of discussion around what is the best color space for a specific image.  For my money I can't tell you the right one by looking at an image.  I usually find it quickly by setting goals for the image and working on the most severe problem first.  If I can fix the hard problems in LAB or RGB then that is where I stay as long as I have to.  Many times the correction is too difficult to complete in LAB or RGB and I switch to another space to "see" if I can fix it.  Failing success there (In a different color space) I then look to Masking for a solution. 

Long and short, examples would be good... and then I'd have to defend them from someone else insisting that they can do better in another space.  I like to keep my options open and see where the image takes me...

I understand in the previous there is a long term improvement to be developed by creating a listing and examples of such use of color space. A lot of work maybe or  a slow and relatively easy building along the way  has examples jumps from themselves while teaching. Maybe just renaming all of the 6 weeks course examples with an additional variable like -rgb-; -rgb- meaning that the image is 'inclined' for that color space.

One of the goals of the class is to get you to try other spaces.  If I put images out there with a recommendation stronger than the ones already given everyone would think that the only way to go for those images is "X color space".  I find the examples you have put forth and Greg as well interesting because you played in the other spaces...It reminds me that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

My 2 cents (added to the previous 2, that's make four)

Good points all and not cheap I assure you.  One of the best things that we did this session was the screen share.  Theseissues were discussed a lot during the session and both Derek and Gus came away from the session with a better understanding of their own workflows because mine was so experimental...they felt there were "rules" and they were refreshed to see that I broke most of the rules that they had imposed on themselves.

I tend to try a few things quickly and settle on the easiest answer.

Greg

Return to “September 2008, Curvemeister 101”