Jim's Fruit in a frame images

This board is for the September 2008 class.
jlowell

Postby jlowell » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi,

Below are my Curvemeister screen shot and final fruit in a frame images.

All comments are welcome.
Jim

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:52 pm

Nice work Jim....

To take this further take another LAB pass at it from where you left off.

See my Image attached.

• L Curve:  I made a slight bump in the curve to improve the mid-tones after the color adjustments were made it seemed a bit lifeless.

• A Curve: I set a neutral on the frame in the magenta area on the right.  This killed off the most of the magenta cast that I could.  I shopped the neutral around a bit to get rid of the most Red I could. I then Pinned the Red side of the curve using Right Click >>Pin Grid>> Upper Right command so that my adjustments did not effect the red side.  I adjusted very close to the center of the curve by making the curve almost full screen.  This allows me to see very close to the center of the curve where the green adjustment needed to be to make the rest of the frame look good.  I found the spot on the curve by placing the mouse on the frame in a very green spot and noting where the worm was on the A channel.

• B Curve: after adjusting the A curve I found some yellow in the frame I wanted to be rid of so I pinned the blue side of the curve with the: Right Click >>Pin Grid>> Lower Left command.  I then placed the mouse on the frame where the yellow was showing up and made a slight adjustment to the curve to remove some of the yellow. 

I also increased the saturation slightly to bring back some color.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Greg, the left side of the frame still has color cast to me... I wonder, is it really possible to make whole frame neutral with curves only or it requires more advanced techniques to fix?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:27 pm

No it's not really possible to get rid of all the cast in the image...without some serious and time consuming corrections.
This is a very real case of diminishing returns....

The goal is to learn how to adjust an image with a strong color cast and to get "better" results.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:11 pm

Ok, thanks. I spent whole evening yesterday trying to remove all color cast and obviously failed :) But I learned quite a bit in the process, so my time wasn't wasted.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:25 pm

That can be the trap sometimes....

You have to deceide what is worth trying to save and what is "liveable".  This is where you get very subjective...

Greg

Return to “September 2008, Curvemeister 101”