Possible interactive lesson using Skype and screen share.

This board is for the September 2008 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:00 pm

We are looking at the possibility of doing an interactive session using Skype for voice and a screen sharing program called "Show My PC"
http://showmypc.com/

I am looking for feedback as to how many would be interested, how willing people are to use Skype and, topics you are interested in seeing more information about.

Because we have people from all over the world we would need to schedule the session(s) pretty tightly and some coordination of connections to Skype would need to be tested before we actually attempt this.

Our current thoughts about this are:

1) Verify interest.
2) Ask people to download, install and configure Skype or another program capable of using the skype system to do the voice part of the session.
3) Schedule a small scale test with a few people to make sure it works for people.  Mike and I have tested the system and it worked well with 1 screen being shared across the net. 
4) Schedule 1st session at least a week ahead of time for a Saturday.  We are looking at 2:00 PM Central time USA.  -6 GMT.
5) Sessions would be limited to 1 hour due to the limits of the free software version we would use.
6) Topics would need to be addressed before hand so we can focus on what you all want to see.

We are also thinking of offering single sessions to single users for specific trouble shooting and technique walk through.

We would enjoy hearing your thoughts on this.  We plan to start small and see if this could add another wrench to the tool box for teaching and support of the CM program.

Greg and Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:51 am

Hi,
I already have skype installed and use it from time to time, so I'm fine with it. What I've would like to see for such interactive lesson is an example of how various CM features are used together to fix complicated image that requires a bit of work done in LAB, another bit in RGB, pins, multiple neutrals, and so on.  This would help me to see a big picture and you always learn a lot when watching expert at work.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

wonderful request...

we'll try to put something together...stay tuned...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Leonid,

What time zone/city do you live in?

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:36 pm

greg,

Sounds like a good idea.  I'm in the US central timezone.

Gus

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks Gus,

Any suggestions as to a date and time you would be interested in trying this out??

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 pm

Greg, I'm in Moscow, which is GMT+4 I believe. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around time zones difference to find a time which is suitable both to you and me.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:12 am

Greg,

I'm flexible on time.  I do a lot of international conference calls.  If the other students are in the UK and Europe, then the best time is early morning for us.  9 am central is usually a good compromise -- this means its 7 am US pacific time, 3 pm in the UK and 4 pm in contental europe, 6 pm in Moscow and 9 pm in China.

One caution, when daylight saving time changes things get more complex and the time differences shift for a few weeks until all the countries make the change.

You might find this site useful in doing some planning:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

Hope this helps.

Gus

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:09 am

I'm going to try for this coming Saturday at 9:00 AM CDT USA.  I'll confirm this date and time on Thursday Evening.
Please send me a few suggestions and I'll have some stuff ready.

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:38 pm

For those wanting to try the video conference on Saturday......

Please download the free version showmypc from the website. 
There is no install other than unzipping if needed.

Please also publish your Skype info when you get a chance. 

The start up format for the conference will be:

• Start Skype conference call at 9:00 am Central USA / 14:00:00 UTC.

• Verify all persons involved have a good skype connection and that we can all talk to each other.

• I will then start the showmypc program and obtain a session number that I will share with you so you can connect to my PC. the video clock starts when I start the session so I want to make sure we are not wasting time with audio issues while the video clock is running.  We get 1 hour per session free.

• We will need to verify that you are getting the screen image in >8 bit color.  The default is 8 bit and it looks really bad.  We will need to make sure that you are set above that level.

After that I will start with images and discussion.
I'll have a more formal plan for the content later in the week.

Greg

Return to “September 2008, Curvemeister 101”