Possible interactive lesson using Skype and screen share.

This board is for the September 2008 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:25 am

I need to have everyone who wants to be in the conference call on Saturday at 9:00 AM CDT USA or  UTC 14:00:00, post or send me their skype info so I can add them to the conference call when I start it.

The current plan is to follow the format described above.  I will have an image to work on but, would also like you to have an image we can tackle together if there is time.  We are limited by the showmypc software to 1 hour.

Let's see what happens and be open to this being an experience...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks to Gus and Derekfountain for sitting in today and making the first screen-cast happen.  It went very well from my perspective and I hope that more people are interested when I do another one in the future.  We tackled 3 images in a little over an hour and had a wonderful conversation that opened some eyes, cleared some confusion, and hopefully inspired...

All in all I thought it went very well......

Thanks again.
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:17 am

The interactive lesson was absolutely great!  There is no substitute for seeing how a real expert works and being able to ask questions The technology worked very well -- the Skype channel was very clear and the screen share program allowed us to see everything Greg was doing in near real-time.

I would really encourage all members of the class to participate in future sessions.

Greg and Mike thanks for making this unique experience available!  It's certainly adding a new powerful dimension to the CM class!!

Gus

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:55 am

The interactive lesson was absolutely great!

Yes, I agree. :) Technically it worked fine, my rather sluggish connection not causing a problem once Greg attuned to pausing for a couple of seconds when a significant screen update happened.

As a learning exercise it was unique; not even the videos come close. The thing that it showed best is the iterative process of trying to find the right solution for the image in hand. Here on the forums we see the solutions - "I did this, then this, then this, and here's the result." In the interactive session we saw a lot more "let's try this... no, that's not helped, what about this.... nope, that's even worse, let's try a mask... ah, that's better...." etc. I've been using CM for a couple of years now, but I was never sure if I was missing something in the workflow. But the lesson confirmed that it isn't a case of selecting the right magic bullet from a box - even Greg has to try several techniques before honing in on the one that gets the job done. Experience helps the experimentation happen faster, but it still has to happen.

I guess the question remains as to whether people will want this type of delivery as part of their class.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:09 pm

I must say that I enjoyed the call...

For me the process is something I cannot dictate to anyone.  It is sort of a "measured subjective" process.  I use the measurements to confirm my subjective decisions.

One of the toughest parts of the class is teaching an understanding of the subjective process we all have to go through to correct our images.  It is so multi-layered, it is hard to type out the process.  The more I try to pin it down the more I find myself not wanting to write it out...It seems odd but, to me it is more about feelings and how I feel the image should look.  I suspect it is a simular process for everyone.

I am looking for ways to use the interactive screenshare more for the class. 

Some suggestions are:

• a weekly conference call where we tackle the images of the week.

• a bi-weekly catch up call for everyone to ask questions and trouble shoot your images.

Any suggestions from the class would be most helpful in taking this process forward.
Greg

Return to “September 2008, Curvemeister 101”