Childrens' Drawings

This board is for the November 2008 CM101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:49 am

Here is my shot at saturating the childern's drawings in LAB and RGB ....

Postby -default » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Great colors!  The paper is magenta in the first image, and blue-cyan in the second.  Use thehue clock, rather than your eye, to detect this.  In Lab this is often hard to avoid.  In RGB it is always possible to adjust the "white" end of the in individual channel curves to get rid of the cast. 

Something we don't discuss explicitly in this class is that an absolutely white highlight is not necessary or even desirable.  Many people set their highlight in the settings to RGB(245,245,245).  Likewise, the shadow can be something like RGB(10,10,10)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:55 am

Mike:

Thanks for the tip about the hue clock.  How does that fit in the workflow?  How, when and where do I use it?

And when you say, "Many people set their highlight in the settings to RGB(245,245,245).  Likewise, the shadow can be something like RGB(10,10,10)."  How do you do that?  I have been following the advice to attach the highlight sample to the most important white and the shadow to the most important white, or used the alternative method of bringing the curve in, but I haven't really paid attention to numbers.

Brian

Postby -default » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:54 am

We'll be doing some manual hue clock manipulations a little later in the class.  The basic idea is to watch what happens with the hue clock while you adjust the curves.  In the case of bright white paper, adjusting the endpoint of the red, green, and blue curves will affect the bright areas the most, and leave the mid tones more or less alone.

The adjustment for the highlight and shadows is in the settings - click on the wrench and then on the Preview tab, and the shadow and highlight values can be typed in manually.  See if you like the look of the slightly less intense values.

Return to “November 2008, Curvemeister 101”