Example 1 Week 5 - Black Tassels - kessi

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
kessi

Postby kessi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Wow, this was a nice task. Wonderful to work with masks.

kessi

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:53 am

Kessi,
Some red is leaking through the mask.  Try to soften it a bit and see if you can make the shadows more neutral.  The art of this is making a mask that can handle some tonality if needed.  Typically when we think of mask we think Ruby Lith as mike defined it...but....You can soften the mask and broaden the effect. 

I have seen an image where there was a green cast on a child's face the trouble was that when you fixed the face the whites went crazy.  A very effective solution was to use a skin tone mask but to make it not quite 100% black and allow some of the correction to spill into the mask...It worked brilliantly...you could apply the mask to the face and correct the image without the face; and then apply the inverse of the mask to the image and correct the face. 

Greg

kessi

Postby kessi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Greg,
I am not quite sure that I understand what you mean by making a mask that can handle tonality and the bit about letting correction spill into the mask.
I redid the Tassles and I think I got them black with less red leaching out, but I sacrificed the clean pink on the bauble a 3rd into the picture from the right.
It is quite tricky to hide the mask effect.

kessi

kessi

Postby kessi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:42 am

Woops, forgot to attach the image.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:38 pm

As you go down the line the shadows are showing a red cast.  The difference is in the mask.  If you make the slope of the mask curve less vertical you will allow some of the adjustment to "leak" into areas where there is red but not vivid red.  You will sacrifice the pink in the bauble hanging from the ornament.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”