Irish boy - Thomas

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:51 pm

Here is my Irish Boy. Basig adjustments in Lab mode. Increased light a bit i face.
Thomas

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:10 pm

The snag in this image is that the corrections (Photoshop Elements)that give a nice sidewalk,good skin,also turn the right side of the collar and the scap of paper behind the head a hideous yellow.It can be solved or at least mitigated.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Oooooh! How could I miss that! Quite a challenge. Where does the cast come from?
Thomas

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:22 am

Working with the picture today it seems the yellow comes with a finding a neutral or a skin pin.Mike can probably explain this.
Images below were done last year.Note neutral is on grate not sidewalk.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:35 pm

I realy did not find a good solution for the yellow cast in white. If I got the white correct the brighter parts of skin went crazy. Hoped for Masks but could not find good solution. Maybe best with skin mask and inverse and desaturate in HSB.

I had to do a Q&D correction in PSE. Marked white parts with magic wand and desaturated them. No cats:(
Thomas
PS to Gremur. On my screen you have a problem with bright parts of skin and some blue cast on pavement. DS

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:57 pm

I applied these curves to my image.Slight change to leg.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:24 am

Your picture starts to look nice. Still bit sceptical to skin tone on leg. Clocks do not look correct.
Noticed that my previous versions are too warm. I made another try in RGB using your neutral but could still not get rid of yellow/green cast on white so I had do desaturate in PSE.
Thomas
PS My version still bit warmer than yours. I also increased brightness in shadows. DS

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 am

There is a way to cheat with this image. History brush sends it back to original.
I couldn't get rid of yellow with curves. I'll try later that's very interesting.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:03 pm

There has been a lot of discussion around this image which is great...

I would like to suggest to you that you should start your correction with a nice BTN pass in RGB. After BTN is reasonable you can look at a skin pin or a sceond pass in CM to fix other problems. At the stage I have posted the concrete needs help as it is most certainly magenta and the little boy needs help as he is far too "pink"... not an unpleasing color for a child but to far for our work here...

If you invoke CM as a smart filter you will need to check the scroll in the CM interface window in order for the CM correction to be returned to the screen when you go back into the smart object.  See the second screen shot.

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:11 pm

There is a way to cheat with this image. History brush sends it back to original.
I couldn't get rid of yellow with curves. I'll try later that's very interesting.

Taking your posted image back into PS and using the "Alt-O" command I reloaded your last Curve on the image.  Try adding a bit of contrast as shown in the second shot and see if the image is more pleasing to you...

NOTE!!!  After an image is open in CM you can reload the last applied curve by pressing the "Alt-O" keystroke.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”