Irish boy - Thomas

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Greg
Yes I used the same method with BTN. Result see screen shot, As I see it a blue/purple cast in brighter skin tones and brighter parts of pavement. In next pass tried to apply skin pin. And each time I got that nasty yellow/green cast in collar and paper:(. What did I miss?
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:50 pm

Try a different pin and also move it around a bit and see if you can find a happy medium...you might want to get the extended skin pins that are posted under the pins thread out on the main forum...Do the BTN correction and close CM.  Come back in in RGB again and set a solid neutral on the sewer grate.  then pin the skin tone and move the pin around until you find a good spot for it...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks for all good advice!
Some questions about picture:
1) Is there a natural green cast in pavement which is difficult to find? We are in Ireland!
2) Why do I still have a blue/purple cast, even if I have three quite different greys ok?
3) Why is it so easy to get yellow/green lum cast in white areas when I correct for skin?

Do not ♠quite understand picture.
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks for all good advice!
Some questions about picture:
1) Is there a natural green cast in pavement which is difficult to find? We are in Ireland!

I did not shoot the image but...In my world there would not be a greenish cast there hence i worked to remove it...but It could very well be there and could be making the rest of the image difficult.  The original photographer might be able to enlighten us but for now i try to make the sidewalk and gutter neutral.

2) Why do I still have a blue/purple cast, even if I have three quite different greys ok?

There is much more going on in the image, I suspect that the color cast was forced into it for the purpose of this example.  I am uncertain, but I have them as well. I do work them out in the BTN part of the correction It calls for a 4th level of correction instead of SHN;  I have used S,H, Low neutral, High neutral.  I try to pick High and low neutral to be far enough apart to be able to adjust them without too much difficulty. Remember RGB allows multiple neutrals based on brightness.

3) Why is it so easy to get yellow/green lum cast in white areas when I correct for skin?

The parts of the skin that you are correcting for need yellow added to them to make them "normal" The pin also includes some Green depending on which one you select.  With the skin being so Red Magenta, the correction will introduce a cast.  That is why you should set a neutral on this before you skin tone pin in RGB.  The Pin will protect the darker parts of the image.  REMEMBER!!!  A neutral pin is just a pin that sets the colors to be equal.  A skin tone pin has the colors set to a normal skin tone...

Do not ♠quite understand picture.
Thomas

I hope this has helped..if not please ask more questions...This is getting into some pretty tough stuff...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:30 am

Thaks Greg. Sorry for putting such questions but wanted to understand,
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Your questions were awesome...
I don't mind answering them at all...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”