garyslake

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:05 am

Contrast pin,color boost,second pass,modified S curve for  more contrast.GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Not sure if mine is any better but I will tell everyone...

You should attempt this image especially in LAB.  There is a lot of color information in here..almost every color could use a contrast boost type separation to broaden the range in the image.

I have posted my ACV file but I also made a layer copy and applied it back using soft light as the layer style and reduced the opacity until I was satisfied with the haze in the hills.

This might be a good CMYK candidate as well...

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:31 pm

I like your roadside vegetation.There's also a ridgeline(9-3:00 oclock) just above the shore that could possibly be emphasized,giving more depth like the ridges in the SunMoon Lake image.
P.S. I see that Zog and I have converted you to the blue haze in the distance school.GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:39 pm

not completely...I'll go down fighting....

I try to check it..this image was very flat...It needed some help in the hills...

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Greg!
Loaded the acv file. You have set quite som points in the center of the Lab, a and b curves, in a narrow area and adjusted them. Do not quite understand how you placed them and why exactly that adjustments? Assume on a higher level. Only learned that if curves horisontal you will get grey area, or?
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:47 pm

In this particular image the colors live in a fairly narrow band near the center of the A and B channels.  The idea is to put control points "Contrast Pins" on the curve and separate them vertically.  The A channel in this image needs less help than the B channel. 

Each point is addressing a separate color issue..Some may be useless but they are added for control and to keep the adjustment from spreading across the entire curve.

If I rotate the curve to horizontal I get muted colors. 

If I rotate them to the vertical I get saturated colors.

If I take two points on the curve in the yellow range for instance...see shot attached...and I separate them vertically the "local color" gets more variation and saturation.

To do this: 1) select the first point with the mouse and then 2) hold down the Ctrl key and select the second point.  You will have created a "contrast pin" manually and you can rotate them using the side frame of the curve or you can move them around together to change the color balance a bit.

Play around and see what can happen.  If you are in the A channel and the Reds get to vibrant you can mute then a bit this way as well...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:30 pm

I used thresholds for hightlights and shadows then put a neutral on the road,then some contrast pinning in the yellow quadrant.
Second pass was an attempt to bring out the ridge by the lake.

Greg,why do I sometimes loose the expand function for my images?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:52 pm

you mean on the web site??

The image size is pretty small it might be displayed at full size depending on your browser.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:07 am

I see what was happening,some images were still in PNG format.
Think the roadside vegetation has better color in second and absolutley last version of this image.

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”