Example 1 Cookie Image - kessi

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
kessi

Postby kessi » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:31 am

I am not sure that I understand the Hue clock interpretation correctly. 
Let me say that if in the image I see a yellow colour, the applied hue clock should show the clock hand  pointing to yellow. The same with pink, blue and so on.
But if there is a blue item that I know is blue and I apply the hue clock and the clock hand points to yellow, that would indicate a yellow colour cast. Or a green colour that points to red would indicate a red colour cast.
Am I interpreting it correctly?

I think the yellow cast in the blue when applied through the glass plate is due to the reflection or transmitted light of the yellow material on the right.

kessi

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:50 am

Your interpretation is correct.  The hue clocks are showing what is on the screen.  The issue is what to do about it...

Many past classes have argued this image into the ground.  The general agreement has been that the image is about the cookies and they should look right.  A slight cast to the plate is acceptable to a point. 

The source of the color has been argued as both of your positions...transmittance and color in the glass. Either would work as a reason for the yellow in the glass. The color would not show up as badly in the yellow regions of the image. Yellow filters allow yellow light to pass.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”